Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012

If that is me, the males are either sold wholesale as male (I know they become dinner) and maybe some kept to grow out for potential breeding. Since at least 50% of chicks are male and there simply is not the demand for them, it is very common for them to end up in "freezer camp". I stopped growing out my own and decided to wholesale them because of space constraints. That and my DH did not want to help with plucking.

2. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    Minnie, I also sell them to the Asian community here in the cities. From what I have gathered it has a bit to do with what breeds are part of their ethnic heritage and many of those are small like bantams. And they better utilize all the parts of the chicken so having something smaller isn't really a problem. I appreciate that they will cone to me for a bulk buy on my extra cockerels when space gets tight and I am able to clear out all my extras in a hurry. They don't make me much money, but it but it beats culling them myself.

3. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

Pretty eggs! Proud mama hen, too.

4. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

LOL!! Try going into your profile. I'm not sure if you're on the full site, mobile site, or app, but if you can find your photos section, you can upload a photo from your phone. You have to select a file and try to scroll around the screen to find the upload box, etc depending if you're on the mobile site or not. I did my avatar on my iPhone. It was a bit clunky but finally worked. I couldn't do it from the app, though.

One way: from Safari on an iPhone, use the full site. On the home page www.backyardchickens.com click the "My Profile" button in the upper right.
    [​IMG]

Now you're in your profile. Don't click the "Replace Avatar" text, for some reason that route just doesn't work via mobile, just click the image above it.
    [​IMG]

Now you're in your photos and can click the Add Photos button. It's the one on the far right.
    [​IMG]

That'll bring you here to select a photo from your iPhone:
    [​IMG]

I hope that helps!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  5. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    I hope those images aren't too small, I'm posting from my phone and they're screenshots of my own screen.

6. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    W
    Well, we were not sure when he was a pup, he killed squirrels and rabbits. Sometimes he just pulled the leash from my hands, once dragged me along. My oldest male cat left a fresh killed red squirrel by our back door. My dog swallowed it whole before I could take it away, he also chased the cats and mouthed my new baby Siamese but I rescued her and he got sharply scolded... He took himself to his crate (yeah he knew to go into the corner when bad LOL) he didn't come out until I called him and told him he was my special boy. He never touched her again. When we got the Bengal, we discovered the kitty was instigating the tussling so stopped reprimanding and let them wrestle. He never tried it with any other cat. To the rest he is quiet and respectful. He catches on very fast. We used to breed Arab horses so he was farm introduced early on. Never seemed much interested in the free ranging chickens there. I suppose ignoring them is fine.

7. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    Wow that is so good to know, I would prefer to go that route. (selling extras off so I don't have to deal with it.) I was just about to question how much meat could really be on these tiny guys ! I mean when they're full grown, they're still just cute babies right now. lol

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  8. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    I
    understand the squeamish part but my Gran told me as a toddler that you have to be able to look your next meal in the eyes and thank it for its sacrifice. It is nourishing you so you can survive. As long as you gave it a good life and good food, you should have a clear mind. The important thing is to always respect their sacrifice. I believe we have become too separated from our food, and the animals behind it. Easy to do with the way food is packaged. Behind every bite of chicken, beef, and Turkey was a live animal. Unfortunately most of them didn't get a fine life or any respect. Whatever you do with your roo, thank it. Never take your meat for granted.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    Bu
    Ok. I tried that but when it goes into profile it automatically pops into mobile mode and there is no change avatar button...how do I keep it in web mode??

10. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    Never Mind! I found a desk top/mobile button. Pushed that, then went through a lot of hoops but eventually got it. Decided to use my prize mare, Majiid. She is my heart horse. I had to place her and her daughter with a breeder in Arizona. Her contract forbids her being sold in my lifetime and I can chose to take her back for the same price I sold her for. Unfortunately, unless I win the lottery, that won't happen. She is expecting a new foal soon. Very excited. She is out of old world famous bloodlines. Actually they are legendary. People fought and scrambled to get their hands on her and her daughter Aja. I gave her to a lady who's breeding program matched my own ideals, and who would accept my terms on Majiid. Sigh... So now I turn to chickens... Much cheaper, than world famous Egyptian Arabians. We had spent over 5,000 on Aja before she was even born! She was one very expensive filly. Her world famous daddy was 25 years old when she was conceived and he died the following Valentines day before she was even born, so she was very precious. His owner now has 2 foals out of frozen sperm by Aja's Daddy's full brother. (They were conceived many years after he died...had to find the perfect mom) there were actual 6 full brothers, one full sister. All became world famous and the only one still living belongs to the King of Jordan.
    Very treasured bloodlines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by