Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Take my advice, do NOT brood chicks and ducks together. The ducks need water deep enough to put their whole face and head into it, for starters. Ducks are messy, wet and nasty brooders and will trample chicks and soak them down. You can get by for a while for 3 in a 50 qt storage tub and clean it frequently. You could also use a rabbit cage and make sure you empty it every couple of days. In a month you should be able to move them outside providing we don't get that crazy late winter garbage creeping into May. They won't need as much heat after a few days as chicks do either. You are really biting off a good lesson as a beginner, aren't you? LOL

You will also want to consider letting the two species have their own separate areas with that many. Ducks can be brutal on chickens. Ducks will try to mate with ANYthing (Hey Ralphie, maybe you need a couple of ducks for Bert of the ladies of the chicken persuasion don't work out), and that means other drakes if there are no ducks around.
    Good luck. It sounds like you have your hands full!

2. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    I
    I would think the roosters only people are planning on raising them for broilers. My gran had a coop for roosters only and she would have LOTS of them. I loved to play with them and when picking out one for dinner, I always picked the ones I didn't like. I was shown how to sex baby chicks. You can actually see a little roosters penis on day one. Then there is the wing method to see if the wings go straight across or if they are long/ short, long/short.

3. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I shouldn't say this out loud, but Welsummers can be sexed at hatch. They are considered rare for MM, and they only sell bantams and rares as straight run. That is not a bad thing though, having 3 to choose from. Keep 2 if you are going to breed them. I haven't seen theirs, but I love my Wellies, they have great temperament and the roosters have never been aggressive. Don't hold me to that with hatchery stock, that is where a majority of the bad roosters come from, they don't select for temperament, but I do. If those don't work out for you, give me a call ;) But too many people do know about the sexing at hatch and I may be sold out already if I don't start getting more coming out of the shell! But I have been having hatcher problems lately and have to come up with a new plan of action.

4. Drea07

Drea07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    The ducks and chicks are in separate brooders (have been since bringing them home), and will have separate coops/runs. I'm wondering how to integrate them together so there are no tiff's when they are free ranging.

5. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    At least you have an avatar. I am on an iPhone and the avatar upload and change button doesn't exist!! "I don't need no stinking Avatar!!" Wait...Yes, yes I do need an avatar!! Someone fix this for me LOL!!

6. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    My male is in the shallow end of the gene pool, I think. We used to call him Spigolli, after the burn-out surfer dude on Fast Times at Ridgemont High played by Sean Penn. He is a sweet boy, but he just cannot kill enough birds. The older female was very sneaky and while we were working on building the brooder house (our originally intended coop for layers until I went chicken crazy), she swiped a hen and dragger her into the corn field and began de-feathering her. That was the last straw with her. I used an old-fashioned method that cured her and she wants nothing to do with the chickens any more. The pup (almost 3) likes eating poop more than Ralphie's dog. She heads to the compost pile if she wanders outside of their perimeter. They are very smart dogs, and one of the reasons I got them was because my research said they do well with other animals. Well, after two flocks and a cat, and several squirrels, either the research was wrong or I got a batch that just didn't know that was supposed to be their behavior. I love them, and the current set-up works for us. I miss seeing the chickens roam, but they have ample space to pasture. I hear coyotes some nights running in the fields, had a fox before the fence got done and lost about 8 a few years ago from that. I have owls who swoop in at night and take their dinner to-go if the birds forget to go in. Until recently, the only thing I had ever lost to weasels were some rabbits we had in a hutch in the double corn crib. Now, I have to make more traps to try to get that bugger before I can let any of this year's hatches outside. I have already lost a few birds to that nasty thing or things.
    I wouldn't trade my Standards for anything, but they sure haven't worked out as farm dogs.

7. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    I am going to be getting Orps and Lav as well, but I am not ready for them yet. Plus my rooster has to be a lavender cookoo. I have to have that and at least a couple standard partridge hens to breed into every couple of years to keep the Isabelle colour and feathering good. I think, down the road, I will be able to use standard crele hens to do the same thing as long as they are well coloured, well feathered and quality breeding hens. I also want my flock to be 100% English breeding. Odds are your little roo is APA.

8. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    I have to add, Rainin22, that little roo is going to be a looker. He is very upright and puffing his chest out already!!

9. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    Thanks for being so honest Minnie. Just curious, why are asian communities interested in purebreed birds? It must be a cultural preference? I have 20 chicks so far, but I have a feeling I will have 5 of them be roosters. I was planning on seeing if anyone wanted them, if not, culling them, but since I'm new to it all and the fiance would have to do the culling part- we will see what actually happens because I'm just a little too squeamish to do it myself.

10. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by