Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Thanks, I knew I was a helpful techie guy. Did you find an 11 year old like I said?

Would you mind posting this picture on https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/946654/calling-all-wild-bird-feeders/230#post_15115344

There are a few of us that feed wild birds on it and they would be as amazed as I am at this picture.. DO NOT LET THIS GO TO YOUR HEAD, but that is one of the most fascinating, best wild bird pictures I have ever seen......

Thanks Minnie, I turned it down on my own before reading what you said, figuring a little low would be safer when I am at 102. I candled the eggs and put them in last night. I must be a terrible hatcher, I think only 2 of the 7 creamette eggs might hatch. BUT being desperate for baby CL's I put them all in anyways.

Paint in coop, who would have thunk it! What's next, running water?

2. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

Exciting! I hope we can see some pictures of the big move in day!

3. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

A week and a half old this week. One of them started flying out of the brooder box to roost on the edge. Added a grate to the top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Want to dance?

I want to thank you all for being a fun little spot in day. This past March I had surgery for Epilepsy and just last week I was airlifted from my home to Abbott Northwestern downtown for a seizure. Day after I got home, our 12 year old son was out walking our hunting dog before school with my mom on a quiet road and he got hit by a car. Our country vet was just a quarter mile a way and got stitching immediately but he doesn't think the leg is going to make it. I have five kids and it's been a handful lately, but we have an amazing community here. (A sheriff that pops in over here and gets my kids folding laundry when he sees they're not helping enough!) great family, friends, neighbors. We find each day full of gratitude and humor and I just wanted to tell you all the few moments on here with your photos and jokes and learning along with all your wisdom has been fun.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Nice chicks, whose day cannot be improved when looking at chick pics while drinking coffee?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Rhett,
    I used a whitewash on the interior of the coop. Spent a long time researching the recipes and would you believe I can't find my notes now? it is just lime and water and maybe milk powder/calf manna thrown in for a binder....can't remember. it works great, and I have to say that in the winter, having a white interior is a plus! keeps it brighter on those days when it is -40 below and bad wind when the chickens don't come out.
    Really wonderful pic of the great owl - thanks for posting it.

6. lalaland

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    americankraut, here's hoping that the upcoming weeks are calmer for you and your family. Keeping my fingers corssed for y'all.

7. lalaland

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    ok, just want to say that I'm having bluebird problems. I have a bunch of houses, and there are a couple up by the house and where two where I park the truck and car. This year, the male bluebird is going bonkers with the rearview mirrors. I keep moving the vehicles, and trying different places away from the houses - danged bird and his mate go to the closest house to the vehicles and he throws himself at the mirrors.

Its pretty normal to find a male bird in love with his reflection, or trying to stand off the mirror intruder, but this guy? He literally flails at the mirrors. So I finally covered each mirrow with a bandana. worked great for a few minutes, then he was at the side windows....etc. Ijust moved the car and truck down by the road. Not convenient at all, its about a 1,000 foot driveway.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

ROFLMBO!!!!

that is funny. I am guessing that particular bluebird is from the short end of the gene pool! I bet if you cover your car, he will attack the house windows. Maybe you could get a little bicycle type helmet made for a bluebird.

sorry to laugh at your problem, but the image of this silly bird made my day. I wish I had some bluebirds, I have houses for them, but they never come.

9. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    My hen that has always been the lowest in the pecking order is the only one finding any enjoyment in bullying the new comers. And my biggest bossiest hen "Mabel", hasn't gone after them once.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

That actually makes sense to me. They all know top hen is so far beneath her and not worth the effort to show up. The bottom one is afraid of going even further down the order if these new ones are ahead of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by