Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012

My coop could use a repaint too. We ran electricity right away and dh has dreams of running water actually. Might get done this summer even. And our new chick house will be getting a full interior remodel with insulation and sheetrock and paint. It is just an old tin shed at this point.

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    As a matter of fact....
    I am planning a water line with nipples for the inside of this building, and in the outdoor runs. I picked up some plastic 55-gallon drums to use for the outdoor paddocks to set up a watering system there too. I don't mind all the work of the way it is now, but my husband complains like a little girl when he helps me that there has to a be a smarter way to do things. I will humor him ;)

There is some info floating around, that if you set your hatching temp 1 degree higher than 100.5 it is supposed to kill more of one sex in the eggs, and if you set it 1 degree lower than 100.5, that is will kill more of the other. This give a higher hatch rate of one or there other, SUPPOSEDLY. However, if that were true, then hatcheries would have figured that out long ago and stopped hatching so many cockerels. A little higher temp though does get them hatching sooner, but that is throughout the incubation as well. Lower does the opposite.

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I looked at it differently when I chose to use the blue (sky) and green (grass) colors in my coop. In winter, there is nothing but white, or brown if there is now snow. The brighter colors are better for me walking into the building, and I think for the chickens as well. After growing up on a dairy farm where everything was coated with whitewash annually, and getting it on all my clothes every time I touched it, I didn't even consider it. So long as I keep it cleaned out, there isn't a fly issue inside it either.

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I painted my walls and my nest boxes. Walls are like a cream color, nesting boxes are taupe, I had heard they like dark nesting boxes (can't tell much of a difference in the photos). I used exterior paint that I got off of craigs list, a painter was selling unopened cans that he didn't use for $10.00. He was in Buffalo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@AmericanKraut I hope things begin looking up soon! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Minnie You are a farm girl!!!

Only a farm kid would know how the white wash wiped off onto clothes every time you bumped it! I use to hate it... Of course I was never a fan of the milk cows, they ruined the first 17 years of my life...... ( well, that's how 17 year old me remembers it)....

haying
    Washing teats
    Haying
    Feeding, calving
    haying
    Cleaning barns, (with a wheel barrel)
    washing teats
    Getting slapped in the face with a muddy smelly manure covered tail
    haying
    feeding hay
    milking
    washing more teats
    cleaning barn
    pulling calves from the mothers that were slow birthing
    cleaning after birth
    haying

Yep, they ruined my life.,.,,,,,sigh

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Without being so blunt as to say "hogwash". I think someone read about reptiles egg and determining the sex and applied it to chickens. You are right if this was anything more than an internet expert (like me) the hatcheries would never hatch roosters or charge a premium for hatching them because they are done in small batches.

7. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    your all a bunch of enablers!! you know that!! Now I just bought 3 MORE hens!! I thought this was going to be like chickens anonymous. wrong!

8. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    LOL, yeah wrong place to avoid acquiring more chickens! But, isn't it SOOO exciting getting more!!

9. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    2 days ago I had five hens, suddenly I'm up to 14 and 2 roo's

1 person likes this.
  10. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie- how is Bert doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by