Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do u guys think my Blue Cochin is good quality??

2. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Poor Bert I hope his foot heals!!

3. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Hope Bert's foot heals. You are lucky Ralphie that your wife was there to 'help' you. Things are easier when we have a partner.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I like him, but I have no idea what is good and what is not...

5. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Her name is Big Momma but I call her BM for short. She is the sweetest hen but has yet to go broody!!

6. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Beautiful Cochin, but I know nothing of the SOP. We have two and they are probably our favorites. Such sweet birds!

Someone earlier mentioned water nipples. How in the world do you prevent your chickens from making a wet, soggy mess underneath them? My DH built a system (and I'm positive it does not leak), but my chicks just make a stinky mess by letting the water drip into the bedding.

We moved the chicks out to the coop today! I am so relieved. Here are a few of them enjoying their new home. We still have a bunch of work to do, but for now they are safe and warm. The walls are red and yellow. The yellow was there from the previous owner's (also the AC unit), and my DH insisted upon red for his little poultry barn. Ironically he seems to be allergic to their dander(?)/dust so chicken duties will be mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this little Cochin blue? We have two and the other is so much darker grey (and has been since day 1).

1 person likes this.
  7. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    OMG, and I have to share this because I think it is so funny. My four year old is prejudiced. He does not like the green-legged chickens and will not touch or hold them :lau. I have no idea why, but it makes me giggle.

8. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Nordicacres, that is a beautiful coop, and what a nice set=up!

9. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Ralphie, I can see why you treasure Bert! Look at those wattles. And by the way, that is the best wrapped chicken foot I've ever seen, can tell your wife is a professional! Hope he feels better.

Did I miss the diagnosis? DId you decide he had bumblefoot?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That is a great coop! I like it a lot. I have water nipples and have not been able to get them to work right, or the chickens to use them. I am thinking of trying drinking cups.

I think your daughter might be onto something. My green legged birds are a tad skittish and I think they are trouble makers behind the scenes. Matter of fact, some of my yellow legged chickens dress themselves up in little white sheets and hoods to protest the green legged ones.
    ROFMBO, it is so funny the reasons kids come up with.

I have decided it was bumblefoot. I am afraid of the outcome. I am going to feed him antibiotics for a few days and hope it gets better. Dosage is just a guess.

I got up at 2:30 and gave him a half cup of water, My DW claims she got up twice and gave him a cup of water each time and a pack of yogurt. She is such a "nurse" she claimed this morning she can tell Bert has a fever, because the back of his head is warm......

Minnie I had already given him the antibiotic by the time I read your post, I really appreciate your advice and knowledge. I know what I am doing is probably useless, but I cannot sit by and do nothing. If anyone has a cure for bumblefoot, I would appreciate it. I hate to lose any bird, but losing Bert would be devastating. I have always had s thing for special needs beings, I find myself wanting to protect and help them. I am well aware that genetics is against Bert. I know people think it is weird to have a CX as a "pet" Most people think of CX's as dirty lazy birds. I find them to be great birds that when raised right. My idea of right is not the norm, those of you on the CX thread know my thoughts on raising them.

Anyways, stepping away from the podium, any suggestions on Bumblefoot cures are needed,.,,thanks...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by