Minnesota!

Adorable chicks!

Sending prayers and hugs your way. :hugs

Wow, thanks you guys for all the encouraging posts! We're really doing a-ok and just thankful for beautiful weather, good friends, and like DuluthRalphie said a cup of coffee and watching some chicks here. Thank you all for your encouragement when not even knowing me really at all. This thread is a great place to be. :)

Hey all! I might be getting the creamette roo and a hen from Triplell! All dependent on my dad who I just found out late last night, when I called him on a whim, happens to be up in Remer. He drove up yesterday and is headed home today but if their schedules line up sounds like it's a go. As @Cyrus83 says you're all a bunch of enablers and @duluthralphie if I remember right it's your fault for reminding me about the roo! And I'm hoping for a cochin from @Minniechickmama once her hatching is on the upswing again. All this unplanned, very unplanned folks. Eagerly waiting and hoping my dad can pull through on this unexpected request I popped onto him at 10pm.

Rush is on today to get a coop (coops?) and run ready for 'em. Sending my 12 year old out for some hardware and going to retrofit out currently gimpy dog's kennel and dog house into a coop and run. His house is pretty swanky, insulated all plastic for easy cleaning and has full ventilation for summer and a removable door, so I think I have a workable plan until gimpy needs his abode back and we have the chick chalet up and running no matter if that's slapped together plywood for now or what. I'll be just sitting in a lawn chair given my post-surgery and we'll see what the kiddos and get set up after my husband gets a start before work. I'm sure he's real in love with me today!

Hi, I am looking for some good quality seramas, I currently have some seramas at the moment but they are only pet quality. I am now looking for more of getting into show quality. does anyone have any for sell near St. paul Minneapolis area? I am from Ham Lake. Thanks!

Welcome! Hope you find what you're hunting for!

@rhetts I was thinking you might be interested in an article the Minnesota Conservationist magazine had out last year. I'm trying to find a possible link to it. There was an article on boreal owls up in northern MN, just the size of a robin but twice as wide! There was some captavating photography. If you want I can drop it in the mail to you. I'll look around more online, too.

Anyone that enjoys reading, learning a bit about, and photography of Minnesota habitats, flora and fauna, soils, forests, river life etc it's a nice little publication sent out by the DNR. It's free by request and appreciated with a donation of any kind. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mcvmagazine/index.html

Oh, just found a link. My phone isn't loading the page fully but I imagine a search for boreal owl here on the archive would bring it up http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mcvmagazine/archive.html whomever is interested. Obviously a much smaller cousin to Rhett's!

That is a great coop! I like it a lot. I have water nipples and have not been able to get them to work right, or the chickens to use them. I am thinking of trying drinking cups.

I think your daughter might be onto something. My green legged birds are a tad skittish and I think they are trouble makers behind the scenes. Matter of fact, some of my yellow legged chickens dress themselves up in little white sheets and hoods to protest the green legged ones.
ROFMBO, it is so funny the reasons kids come up with.

I have decided it was bumblefoot. I am afraid of the outcome. I am going to feed him antibiotics for a few days and hope it gets better. Dosage is just a guess.

I got up at 2:30 and gave him a half cup of water, My DW claims she got up twice and gave him a cup of water each time and a pack of yogurt. She is such a "nurse" she claimed this morning she can tell Bert has a fever, because the back of his head is warm......

Minnie I had already given him the antibiotic by the time I read your post, I really appreciate your advice and knowledge. I know what I am doing is probably useless, but I cannot sit by and do nothing. If anyone has a cure for bumblefoot, I would appreciate it. I hate to lose any bird, but losing Bert would be devastating. I have always had s thing for special needs beings, I find myself wanting to protect and help them. I am well aware that genetics is against Bert. I know people think it is weird to have a CX as a "pet" Most people think of CX's as dirty lazy birds. I find them to be great birds that when raised right. My idea of right is not the norm, those of you on the CX thread know my thoughts on raising them.

Anyways, stepping away from the podium, any suggestions on Bumblefoot cures are needed,.,,thanks...
Like I said, he is yours to decide what to do. I am not judging. ;)
For the foot, I was recently told of a sugar and betadine paste to apply that draws the infection out. You mix the two ingredients into a pasty consistency, slather on the foot, wrap it, and then change every couple of days. If there is a wound, I wrap with a gauze pad with a generous amount of Neosporin, then use vet wrap and cutting it into about 1/2-3/4" strips, wrap the foot so the gauze in no longer exposed. The vet wrap adheres to itself so no sticky tape is needed. It comes in pretty colors too! Change every couple of days if you go that route too.
What did you give him for antibiotics? Pen G? I am not sure which one would be right for bumblefoot since it is a staph type infection. I am sure there are 500 posts on here about bumblefoot though.
If you want to try a more hollistic remedy too, there is Dr. Harvey's Organic Healing Cream, but you need to order that online.

@rhetts I was thinking you might be interested in an article the Minnesota Conservationist magazine had out last year. I'm trying to find a possible link to it. There was an article on boreal owls up in northern MN, just the size of a robin but twice as wide! There was some captavating photography. If you want I can drop it in the mail to you. I'll look around more online, too.

Anyone that enjoys reading, learning a bit about, and photography of Minnesota habitats, flora and fauna, soils, forests, river life etc it's a nice little publication sent out by the DNR. It's free by request and appreciated with a donation of any kind. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mcvmagazine/index.html

Oh, just found a link. My phone isn't loading the page fully but I imagine a search for boreal owl here on the archive would bring it up http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mcvmagazine/archive.html whomever is interested. Obviously a much smaller cousin to Rhett's!
If you have time to kill and want to look at some great Minnesota photography, you can check out a site called Capture Minnesota. Trust me, it is a time killer too! but some amazing photographs of all kinds of stuff Minnesotan.

If you have time to kill and want to look at some great Minnesota photography, you can check out a site called Capture Minnesota.  Trust me, it is a time killer too! but some amazing photographs of all kinds of stuff Minnesotan.

Oooooh! Thank you!!! I'm doing a lot of sitting around so that's right up my alley! My grandma has dementia and I think she'd enjoy it, too. She's been a nature lover all her life,

Welcome to BYC, and this thread.

I have no idea about where to get a seramas...

I was trying to clean my act on the tails Minnie.  During the summer, when the black flies were the worst and the rye poop was the runniest, we got thwapped the most...

I know exactly what your legs and arms looked like, all summer long it looks like you have been scratching a bad case of poison ivy.   I had the same look.  Blue jeans helped but those cut ends (the sides) of the bale poked right through them.

I could never do any after school activities because of cows.  In the morning we had to get up and milk,  in November and December one of us got to run the trap line while the other milked........

I actually am thinking of getting some cattle. (mini cows) I did not learn well enough.

Oh my gosh my legs and arms are always scratched up in the summer from hay. My dad always recruits me to stack the square bales on the wagon, load them into the barn, load them out of the barn and onto a trailer, load up round bales onto a trailer, or to rake the fields after he cuts the hay. Matter of fact I just helped him load up a round bale about 45 minutes ago.

Like I said, he is yours to decide what to do. I am not judging. ;)
For the foot, I was recently told of a sugar and betadine paste to apply that draws the infection out. You mix the two ingredients into a pasty consistency, slather on the foot, wrap it, and then change every couple of days. If there is a wound, I wrap with a gauze pad with a generous amount of Neosporin, then use vet wrap and cutting it into about 1/2-3/4" strips, wrap the foot so the gauze in no longer exposed. The vet wrap adheres to itself so no sticky tape is needed. It comes in pretty colors too! Change every couple of days if you go that route too.
What did you give him for antibiotics? Pen G? I am not sure which one would be right for bumblefoot since it is a staph type infection. I am sure there are 500 posts on here about bumblefoot though.
If you want to try a more hollistic remedy too, there is Dr. Harvey's Organic Healing Cream, but you need to order that online.

I will get some betadine this morning.. Thanks

I am giving him Oxytetracycline. I know it is more for respiratory stuff from the package, but it does say broad spectrum antibiotic. I know it is more cathartic to me than anything else. Keeping Bert in the house, I cannot believe I said that, seem to be helping, we can make sure he eats, drinks and rests. I did not think an injectable would work, but after we lanced it, I am wondering if it would help by putting the antibiotic right there. I will maintain the antibiotics for at least a week now so I do not create a "super" bug.

I am thinking of going to fleetfarm or runnings and get some sulfa drugs. Anything we can get in a powder and mix with water to give to him with an eye dropper. I have never heard of vet wrap I will look for that too..

You are right about how many posts there are on bumblefoot, but most are not very helpful. Or there is so much, it make me wonder what to do or if anything can be done.

DuluthRalphie, I'm an herb girl so I don't know if that even jives with you, but if you have a food co-op or any natural foods store they might have essential oils. These are the concentrates of plants, barks, seeds, or roots, that often come from the same things the plant used to protect itself. I retail a high therapeutic grade brand dōTERRA but you can get other brands possibly near you faster. If not, I can throw some free little bottles in the mail. Oregano is one to get. Essential oils are powerful stuff. Like a drop of peppermint is the as 25 cups of peppermint tea. So there's about 200+ applications in a bottle and it'll last in a shelf out of the sun 10+ years. Use just a tad, diluted in a teaspoon olive oil or any vegetable oil you have. This is a strong oil so don't wipe your eyes or anything, wash up well. Bandage as usual. Is mix it with a little lavender oil to soothe and balance if you'd like. Lavender you don't have to dilute. Tea tree oil (also called melaleuca) is a substitute for oregano. You might want to start there unless you think it's staph then oregano is the way to go. DōTERRA has a blend called OnGuard, you can find it researched even on the government's CDC (or it might have been the NIH) website to stop the multiplying of MRSA and flus, staph might have been on there.

Anyway, just some ideas. You could try putting smashed garlic and onion on there, wrap as usual. That might be the easiest.

Just some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom