Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    You were lucky, you got muddy, smelly manure covered tails. Mine weren't diluted with mud, I got the fresh out of the gutter, 5am, pee-soake, manure infused switch across the face most mornings. Wakes one like no cup of coffee ever will. I tried loading bales of hay onto the conveyor with shorts on once. Can you guess what my legs looked like? Yeah, back when hay bales were done by hand, not this big bales you just load up with a tractor and stack. Summer was fun, wasn't it? 5am start milking, feeding, cleaning the barn. After chores and all the mild dishes were done, then you got breakfast, then you went out to rake hay, then you got lunch, then you went out to stack hay until chore time again. Chopping season was even more fun, then you got to either run wagons until midnight or you got to do all the chores alone. I never got asked out in school cuz the boys were all afraid I would kick their a**es and because my biceps were bigger than theirs! Good times!
    I do miss delivering calves and the calves in general. We showed also, so some weeks that got thrown into it, but it was a labor of love then. I don't regret any of it, it was a good wholesome lifestyle and taught me to work hard and appreciate animals and what they give us.

2. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If I were enabling you, then I would have sold you 7!!!

3. kuvtsisk

kuvtsisk New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    Hi, I am looking for some good quality seramas, I currently have some seramas at the moment but they are only pet quality. I am now looking for more of getting into show quality. does anyone have any for sell near St. paul Minneapolis area? I am from Ham Lake. Thanks!

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Welcome to BYC, and this thread.

I have no idea about where to get a seramas...

I was trying to clean my act on the tails Minnie. During the summer, when the black flies were the worst and the rye poop was the runniest, we got thwapped the most...

I know exactly what your legs and arms looked like, all summer long it looks like you have been scratching a bad case of poison ivy. I had the same look. Blue jeans helped but those cut ends (the sides) of the bale poked right through them.

I could never do any after school activities because of cows. In the morning we had to get up and milk, in November and December one of us got to run the trap line while the other milked........

I actually am thinking of getting some cattle. (mini cows) I did not learn well enough.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    OH,,, My Alzheimer's kicked in and I forgot. Bert is still alive. I do not think he has bumblefoot. He is not very active today. I am going to do something so against what I normally do.

I am going to give Bert drugs, on the off chance he has an infection.

6. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I wouldn't put drugs in him. I think his size is probably putting stress on his frame. If he has been jumping off anything more than a couple of inches, that can mess with his legs and hips and drugs aren't going to help him. Do you already use customs and electrolytes in the water? Try giving him that.
    But it's your call, of course.

Yeah, hay slivers in the arms and legs all summer were just part if living on a farm.

7. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    We
    had a male robin that attact the house windows trying to protect his nest from that ugly guy in the glass... Would go into a frenzy because the ugly guy in the glass just wouldn't go away!! I had to hang covers over the outside of the windows.

8. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Y
    Yeah we are a very friendly bunch... Maybe that is why we have such a great thread!!

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ralph u lived the child hood I would love to live!! I LOVE calving and pulling calves and feeding hay milking is not as fun but I like it!! Hope Bert gets better!!

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    BERT UPDATE:

Bert was brought into the house tonight. I never thought we would be the type of people to have a chicken in the house.

I soaked his foot for about 15 minutes in warm water and disinfecting soap. We lanced (by "WE" I mean my DW) she is use to this stuff from her job.

We then expressed the bloody mess. Then applied antibiotic. and bandaged his foot.

We gave him an oral antibiotic.

Then feed him some yogurt and yogurt water mixed.

He is now spending the night in the bathtub. I wanted to let him run loose in the bathtub, my DW insisted on the box. BUT do not let her cruel demeanor fool you. She was nearly crying when she was talking to Bert and comforting him. I think she actually likes Bert. BUT everyone that knows Bert likes him.

He did not fight or squirm a lot. He took it like a trooper.

Here are a few pictures of Bert's medical treatment and a selfie he took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by