Minnesota!

Thanks, I knew I was a helpful techie guy.  Did you find an 11 year old like I said?

Would you mind posting this picture on https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/946654/calling-all-wild-bird-feeders/230#post_15115344

There are a few of us that feed wild birds on it and they would be as amazed as I am at this picture..  DO NOT LET THIS GO TO YOUR HEAD, but that is one of the most fascinating, best wild bird pictures I have ever seen......

Thanks Minnie,  I turned it down on my own before  reading what you said, figuring a little low would be safer when I am at 102.   I candled the eggs and put them in last night.  I must be a terrible hatcher, I think only 2 of the 7 creamette eggs might hatch.  BUT being desperate for baby CL's  I put them all in anyways.

Paint in  coop, who would have thunk it!  What's next, running water?

My coop could use a repaint too. We ran electricity right away and dh has dreams of running water actually. Might get done this summer even. And our new chick house will be getting a full interior remodel with insulation and sheetrock and paint. It is just an old tin shed at this point.

Thanks, I knew I was a helpful techie guy. Did you find an 11 year old like I said?

Would you mind posting this picture on https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/946654/calling-all-wild-bird-feeders/230#post_15115344

There are a few of us that feed wild birds on it and they would be as amazed as I am at this picture.. DO NOT LET THIS GO TO YOUR HEAD, but that is one of the most fascinating, best wild bird pictures I have ever seen......

Thanks Minnie, I turned it down on my own before reading what you said, figuring a little low would be safer when I am at 102. I candled the eggs and put them in last night. I must be a terrible hatcher, I think only 2 of the 7 creamette eggs might hatch. BUT being desperate for baby CL's I put them all in anyways.

Paint in coop, who would have thunk it! What's next, running water?
As a matter of fact....
I am planning a water line with nipples for the inside of this building, and in the outdoor runs. I picked up some plastic 55-gallon drums to use for the outdoor paddocks to set up a watering system there too. I don't mind all the work of the way it is now, but my husband complains like a little girl when he helps me that there has to a be a smarter way to do things. I will humor him ;)

There is some info floating around, that if you set your hatching temp 1 degree higher than 100.5 it is supposed to kill more of one sex in the eggs, and if you set it 1 degree lower than 100.5, that is will kill more of the other. This give a higher hatch rate of one or there other, SUPPOSEDLY. However, if that were true, then hatcheries would have figured that out long ago and stopped hatching so many cockerels. A little higher temp though does get them hatching sooner, but that is throughout the incubation as well. Lower does the opposite.

Rhett,
I used a whitewash on the interior of the coop. Spent a long time researching the recipes and would you believe I can't find my notes now? it is just lime and water and maybe milk powder/calf manna thrown in for a binder....can't remember. it works great, and I have to say that in the winter, having a white interior is a plus! keeps it brighter on those days when it is -40 below and bad wind when the chickens don't come out.
Really wonderful pic of the great owl - thanks for posting it.
I looked at it differently when I chose to use the blue (sky) and green (grass) colors in my coop. In winter, there is nothing but white, or brown if there is now snow. The brighter colors are better for me walking into the building, and I think for the chickens as well. After growing up on a dairy farm where everything was coated with whitewash annually, and getting it on all my clothes every time I touched it, I didn't even consider it. So long as I keep it cleaned out, there isn't a fly issue inside it either.

Does anyone paint the interior of their coop? or whitewash? or poly it or deck stain it? Like the walls and ceilings I mean. I am going to do a big spring clean of the coop this weekend and fix a few things that needed fixing in the coop so I was wondering since I will have it emptied should I be putting something on the interior walls? Would it help in anyway? Should I paint it a pretty color so they can make it through the weary winters? Ha Ha Right now it is just plywood. What about nest boxes? Those were made out of wood and I did not 'paint' them with anything either.
I painted my walls and my nest boxes. Walls are like a cream color, nesting boxes are taupe, I had heard they like dark nesting boxes (can't tell much of a difference in the photos). I used exterior paint that I got off of craigs list, a painter was selling unopened cans that he didn't use for $10.00. He was in Buffalo.

@AmericanKraut I hope things begin looking up soon!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Minnie You are a farm girl!!!

Only a farm kid would know how the white wash wiped off onto clothes every time you bumped it! I use to hate it... Of course I was never a fan of the milk cows, they ruined the first 17 years of my life...... ( well, that's how 17 year old me remembers it)....

haying
Washing teats
Haying
Feeding, calving
haying
Cleaning barns, (with a wheel barrel)
washing teats
Getting slapped in the face with a muddy smelly manure covered tail
haying
feeding hay
milking
washing more teats
cleaning barn
pulling calves from the mothers that were slow birthing
cleaning after birth
haying

Yep, they ruined my life.,.,,,,,sigh

There is some info floating around, that if you set your hatching temp 1 degree higher than 100.5 it is supposed to kill more of one sex in the eggs, and if you set it 1 degree lower than 100.5, that is will kill more of the other. This give a higher hatch rate of one or there other, SUPPOSEDLY. However, if that were true, then hatcheries would have figured that out long ago and stopped hatching so many cockerels. A little higher temp though does get them hatching sooner, but that is throughout the incubation as well. Lower does the opposite.

Without being so blunt as to say "hogwash". I think someone read about reptiles egg and determining the sex and applied it to chickens. You are right if this was anything more than an internet expert (like me) the hatcheries would never hatch roosters or charge a premium for hatching them because they are done in small batches.

Back
Top Bottom