Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Drea07

Drea07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    Thank you Ralphie.

Don't know what it is with big dogs and vacuums. My dog hides in the garage under my truck whenever the vacuum descends upon the house, or any other big bad scary power tool turned on, compressors too, runs and hides behind my husband from the cat, takes off running if the hose is turned on. He's a 115lb English yellow Lab.....I keep telling him he's not being a very good ambassador for his breed as a hunting dog. [​IMG]

2. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    If it's a good old broody, she'll take care of them just fine. If it's a younger one or kinda flighty, you might be better to leave them in a little longer.

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    This is her first time but if u met her u would think this is her millionth time. They r out at the moment and they r fine so I might just leave them.

So sorry about ur little duckling!!!

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

Momma sure was happy to get out. She went crazy over the grass. When she went broody there was still snow on the ground!! And now there is nice green grass. She isn't even feeding the babies starter only grass and other thing they find.

The little chick that I put in the bator thinks I am its mother/father... Every time I look in the window she freaks out!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Drea07

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN

Thank you Holm.

6. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Ha ha, yes they could be miniature T Rex's, however I prefer to think of them as miniature raptors myself... raptors are flocking vs T-Rex being solo. Smart, quick to adapt etc., raptors always seemed to me like 6 ft chickens.

7. Drea07

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    Crazy roo or normal chicken behavior?

I was hanging out with all my birds for about an hour after work and making sure everyone had food and water. All the birds were acting perfectly "normal" for chickens and ducks.

Went down a few hours later to put everyone to bed. My BR roo had dug a hole and was laying on his side in the middle of it, one of the pullets was standing over him and would "poke" him in the belly and he would start kicking like he couldn't get up. The two of them repeated this a few times. My first thought was that they had gotten into a fight and she hurt him, but she was gently poking him like she was checking to see if he was okay. (kind of a "hey you! Get up!) Then I thought something else was going on and he was dying on me. I took the top off the brooder to take him out.
    The pullet ran to the other side, the roo jumped up, tripped over himself, fell down, got up (looked like he was drunk) and gave me a very indigent confused look. I took him out and laid him down outside of the brooder, he stood right up, looked around peeping, turned towards me, stood up taller and then started peeping very loudly at me walking perfectly fine in my direction. (I was feeling very scolded...) [​IMG][​IMG]

He was not very happy with me for taking him out. So I put him back, he kicked some of the bedding in my direction and went right back to the pullet that was poking him. [​IMG]

So is this something normal or is it a sign of something I need to be worrying about??

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    Drea07- It sounds like he was dust bathing. It can be alarming the first time you see it, with all the kicking and flailing it can look like some sort of seizure! [​IMG]
    My hens peck at each other when they're rolling around like that too.

1 person likes this.
  9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Maybe they had just read "50 shades of Grey"...?

1 person likes this.
  10. Drea07

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    Oh good! It was pretty funny to watch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by