Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Drea07, another behavior you can expect to see that might freak you out is when they sunbathe! they will lay on their side, stretch out the top wing and fall asleep. They look dead, but are just enjoying the sun.

Dustbathing is something chickens love to do, and it helps keep mites etc down. They will dig holes all over, usually in dry, sunny areas.

2. Drea07

Drea07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    Good to know! I would have freaked out seeing that and not realizing that's what they are actually doing!

3. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, you are quiet today. I hope that Bert is on the mend and since it is not snowing or raining you will get a chance to work on your projects.

4. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    we lost 3 baby salmon faverolles last night =( I think they had a sour crop, there's one faverolle left. So sad, they were around 3 weeks or so. 2 of them died in my hand while throwing up water

5. Drea07

Drea07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    You know, you may have something there....

I have been reading that to see what all the hype is about....perhaps they have been reading over my shoulder...

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I still will see a bird doing a dust bath and think it is dead. They look horrible as LaLa says. They are ragged, dirty and not moving just enjoying life. BUT they look dead!

Bert seems to be better. He actually fought us last night when we changed his dressing. He protested the whole time and tried to get free. That was a first, he has been so docile when we monkey with him it was like he did not care. He still has a ways to go, the pad looks way better the swelling is coming down. The ankle is not as swollen either, but the outside toe still has a "lump" on it and will not come to a head, we have not been able to get any pus out of it.

EJB thanks for asking. My broody has abandoned her eggs, They were suppose to be hatching. It does not surprise me they did not hatch. She was a young pullet first time broody and very flighty. She would sit with dedication, then spend time doing other things and sit again.

I need to get a fan for my cheapy little giant incubator, does anyone know where I might find one? Runnings did not have them.

7. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Well, I went to Runnings today to get a few turkey poults. They don't come in until next Thursday. Passed the bin with the EE chicks and I couldn't resist. All of ours are so dark and these are so different! We're testing out an old heating blanket to see if it will work for us!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    Oh no. [​IMG] so sad.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    They had turkey poults at the Monticello runnings yesterday.. And some cx's but I resisted.

I stopped in at Ramsey feed store...

That is a hard place to leave without birds, but I did it. They have quite a bit of selection right now. They had some copper Marans I thought hard about. If I had other chicks here, they would have been mine, even at 8 bucks apiece.

10. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    I will have to check out the Ramsey Feed Store the next time I'm in the Cities. It sounds dangerous, haha :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by