Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012

They may be unable to ship due to current quarantines and prohibitions in place to try to prevent spread of AI. There is almost no shipping out of the state at this point. I don't ship, but I took a break from hatching when things with AI started to heat up in this state. Hoping for hot weather to clear it out.

1 person likes this.
  2. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

I hadn't heard that update. Good to know and makes sense. I hope all this AI stuff clears up soon.

3. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome @The BlanchRanch!

1 person likes this.
  4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I'm sorry!![​IMG]

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Do you folks know what Catbirds look like? I have seen them very seldomly, but I hear them in our trees and bushes a lot. Well, yesterday morning while I was turning eggs in the big 'bator, and checking on my started garden plants, I heard a something and turned to see a Catbird had flown into the house with our 3 dogs in pursuit! It must have gone on the porch first, then gotten chased in by the dogs. So, it made its way into our dining room and was flying back and forth between two rooms but keeping as high as it could get rather than coming down to go out a window or door. Finally, after beating the heck out if itself, it did go into the kitchen and rested on top of the cupboards a few seconds, then flew into the family room, straight into a window where it knocked itself for a loop and fell on the floor. I ran over and grabbed it and opened the window and tossed it down the few feet to the ground, where it say for a few seconds then flew off.

That was the fun news.
    Now, the bad news...
    Weasel returned last night. I lost another 10 birds. It didn't go to the pens where I had the traps, but a different one. So, tonight, i have put out 2 more traps and used the dead birds to bait them with some nice bloody pieces to get their attention. If I don't get that thing killed soon, I might as well kiss my birds goodbye, because I can't keep losing all these 10-12 at a time. I did mow , leaving strips to hopefully direct it/them to where the traps are set.

6. Thank you AmericanKraut!! Great group of people here!

7. So sorry to hear that, Minniechickmama. Hope you get that weasel. I don't know what i would do if i lost all those chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  8. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Nooooo, that is so sad :( How is it getting in your pens?

9. AmericanKraut

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    @Minniechickmama the bird story, imagined in my head play-by-play with the dogs is hilarious!

The weasel, awful!! I'm so so sorry. Especially after the lost hatches. How sad to come out and see so many dead hens. I can't understand why one isn't enough for one weasel. Sometimes when I've lifted my compost bin lid I've seen one quick spin and a swirl and dart down the side like a snake, so fast I barely can see it. Makes me nervous after hearing your story. I hope tomorrow there's good news of clucking chicks and a never-more weasel.

10. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN

oh this is awful. I'm so sorry and I wish I had some helpful advice but I don't.

have you heard about that Minnesota born device called predator guard? It has come way down in price. It is basically a lit red bulb which supposedly deters all kinds of predators who stay away thinking they are seeing another predator. I always wondered if red xmas lights could accomplish the same thing.

Or,...electric wire on the fence?

I can't imagine trying to make a coop weasel safe. Gives me the willies everytime I read about yours because I know a weasel could easily get into my coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by