Minnesota!

WOW 35 posts since I checked on my IPhone.

I am in Florida. the temp sticks. it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

I just got here, I left Duluth Sunday afternoon around 4pm. Long miserable drive. I wish I was home. MY DW has been taking care of my birds and incubators with my help on the phone. She is not impressed with any of it.

I am having twice week hatches now. I have I think 8-9 toads, some all white some black and White. Bert is a proud Daddy. Just before I left Sunday morning for Duluth, Bert chased after his cute lil EE hen. He is back in the mood after his foot injury and can run down the slow girls for a good time. I am so happy to know I have more Fertile Bert eggs coming.

The Toads are/were growing fast. The toads were about the same size at 7 days as the 7 day turkeys were .I am impressed. I am tethered to my IPhone so not sure how this will go.

Minnies sorry to hear about the weasel. Do you have any way to poison it without getting other animals for a slow painful death, like it deserves?

Welcome new peoples..

Rhett, echoing what EJB said. The DNR and sheriff departments consider bears Low low priority. They figure you will take care of it yourself and not tell them about it. The nice thing about most of northern MN is you can do that fairly safely. Without fear of jail or fines, as long as you swear the bear was doing or about to do harm/damage.

MY DW filled the incubator yesterday with turkey and Bert eggs, I have about 40 Guinea eggs to go in. Nordicacres you need some guinea eggs?

MY CCL's are laying eggs, I even got 2 on the same day once last week. I did worm them and give them a sunsetter awning to keep the sun and rain off them. AND I give them treats daily. They are still afraid of me but warming slowly. They seem to like my wife better. The other day Ray (CCL ROO) and Ole's ( perverted crossbreed mutt I got from EJB) were fighting through the fence. Ole is real brave when there is fence between him and hi opponent.

I have no idea what I am going to do with all my birds now. I think I have around 20 chicks, 8 from diamond encrusted eggs and 20 poults,

OH YEA!!!

BC I peed my pants in Illinois. I slept in a rest area parking lot, got up in the morning, went in and relieved myself. Came out and there was a Chickadee sitting under my car staring at me! I relieved myself again. Then realized it could not be the same one, I am so scared of Chickadees now. I may need professional help.

TTYL,bye

Heres what I have right now as my "future" coop. My main concern with this design is ventilation. There is a vent in the top of the building. Although I do not think that will be enough and im asking for advice on how to make this coop happen. I obviously cant cut holes in the metal roof so all I have to deal with is the two end walls. The building is not insulated one bit and there needs to be some repair in one of the corners. The front with the two windows is facing east which is nice. This was used as a larfe scale brooder for 200+ chicks.
How can I make this work any suggestions?

BC I peed my pants in Illinois. I slept in a rest area parking lot, got up in the morning, went in and relieved myself. Came out and there was a Chickadee sitting under my car staring at me! I relieved myself again. Then realized it could not be the same one, I am so scared of Chickadees now. I may need professional help.

TTYL,bye
lau.gif
I just about peed my pants reading that and laughing so hard! OMG....too funny. You're not pulling my leg are you?!

If you are wipe your hands off and quit that! LOL. Chickadee haunting for sure.

Get back to MN soon Ralphie. We woke up to snow and sheets of ice. don't you miss it?!
roll.png

Heres what I have right now as my "future" coop. My main concern with this design is ventilation. There is a vent in the top of the building. Although I do not think that will be enough and im asking for advice on how to make this coop happen. I obviously cant cut holes in the metal roof so all I have to deal with is the two end walls. The building is not insulated one bit and there needs to be some repair in one of the corners. The front with the two windows is facing east which is nice. This was used as a larfe scale brooder for 200+ chicks.
droolin.gif
love.gif

This coop is going to be awesome! You could do a Poultry House fan in the back 1/2 circle wall to pull out moisture. That's one option...

But what you have with this awesome Old timey Quonset is a way for snow to slough off the roof and stack up as it goes and it will naturally insulate the side walls. OMG. I Think it has great character and I would totally love having this on my place. You and MinnesotaNice have some beautiful buildings to get started with...wowza....

I really like your building. I do not know much on how to properly vent. sorry I am of no help. Just wanted to tell you that it looks like it has great potential.

Thank you bogtown and rhetts. I was very blessed to purchase this property from a long time family friend she lived to be 95 and used to raise chicks with her husband in this very brooder, all I can say is that.she was overjoyed to hear I was renovating it to be a coop for my own chickens. Bogtown, would this fan be run year round? Even in the winter? how big of a fan would you say I would need for 15 chickens? The coop is aprox 20*10. The top of the ceiling is probably around 8ft.

That is one cool building! I have no solutions for you as I've been asking many questions about ventilation, etc. on here myself. Eventually, you could attach a nice enclosed run right off the back when you don't want your chickens free ranging. It's going to be so cool when you're done! Why can't you cut the metal?

Last edited:
I think you could run it on and off throughout the winter based on the outdoor relative humidity, that number of birds in what looks like a nice sized coop, and plus you have those nice windows there. One thing you'll find up here and be thankful is our winter is dryer in the North Country than down in Southern MN. (I used to live near Rochester) That's a damp cold down there...we have dryer cold and that's a good thing. Most of my frostbite issues came in that Late October, Early November time when it's raining turning to snow stuff. When you can't do anything about the dew point outside and it's getting into your coop.

These are just ideas, too....and you're going to be watching your flock every day to make adjustments to if you need the fan or if you don't. If you want to snug everybody in tonight because it's -30 below and every bit of moisture has been sapped by the cold dry air. It's kind of like flexing and flowing with the weather conditions and there is probably no right way of doing it every day.

I would say for that coop you wouldn't need a fan all that big. And I think another whirly gig stove pipe looking venitlator in another part of the roof wouldn't hurt. Pain to cut the steel though and make sure you have it right.

I'm sure that 95 year old lady is smiling down from above seeing this building get new life. Ahhh...so much fun!

I just looked at the ventilation pipe thing and I think you could replace it with a whirly one and get the job done. I don't know if you need to put more holes in that building...with the stack and the windows and the number of birds you say you're getting. Gee that's a nice set up!

Back
Top Bottom