Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Putting something like this at that one opening in the roof will pull the moisture out. You can even put a damper on inside to control how much gets pulled out.

[​IMG]

2. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    I think I would cut some windows out the back end - just take a sawzall ( draw a line first unless you are experienced). If you get the wood out in one piece, you can put a frame around the opening and then use the cut out piece - just hinge it to the frame you made so you can shut it when you want.

I wouldn't use glass, I would just use 1/4 hardware cloth. You will have plenty of ventilation and it will add more light, which I'm thinking you are going to want inside in the winter.

3. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Gofeedthegirls (hope I got it right!), I love that little shed! It will make a great coop.

Ralphie, thanks for thinking of me. Alas, I have no incubator. Next Spring I will convince DH we need one. It shouldn't be a hard sell, but we have too many projects in the works now. Have fun in FL! Weather sounds amazing :D

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry you lost more birds. How are the weasels getting to your birds? are your pens 1/2 inch hardware cloth?

5. gofeedthegirls

gofeedthegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2015
    Thief River Falls, MN
    Thank you for your suggestions everyone on the coop setup! I will be sure to post a picture of the coop all finished. It will be a while before I can get to work on it tho. I cannot wait to start on it!

Thanks again,
    mike

1 person likes this.
  6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    The first post on this thread by Thespoiledchicken has a coop that looks amazingly similar to your coup, she says she has ridge vent installed. She is very active online, i'm sure she would answer any questions you have about her ventilation.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures

That is a fantastic coop!

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  7. gofeedthegirls

gofeedthegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2015
    Thief River Falls, MN
    Thank you Cluckies

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Do you live near a Fleet Farm? They have fans that are very decent priced for what you need and you can get the wind guard and all that too, but you will want a small vent on the other end to draw in fresh air too, something with a screen to keep bugs and critters out that might fly in.

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks.
    No, those are tractors I built and used chicken wire on, but I believe it is getting in under the edge where mice dig their way in, and probably the mice lead it there in the first place. I have used those two tractors for 4 years with no problem, then this. Last year I had 2 birds that I think a weasel or some polecat got too. I set traps and never caught anything. I am sure the unmowed grass hadn't been helping me either. Everyone send me good vibes so that I catch that little piece of poop.

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [email protected] LoL. I use that word all the time and I think I got it from my dad. You don't know how many people have asked me, "what's a polecat?!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by