Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. scandiafowl

scandiafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota
    @Minnechickmama, no kidding! My mother hates CC and would have far more chickens if she knew they'd take out that stuff!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Iphone so note short and ugly .

I want both!!!

I really do not care if i have more blue eggs. I get around 40% blue now from my ees.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Dang iphone

I have to collect the creamettes eggs separate from ee or i cannot tell them apart.

I never thought of putting Ole, Ernie and Ed in jail , when i get home it is happening for a week

4. gofeedthegirls

gofeedthegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2015
    Thief River Falls, MN
    Is it unheard of to put a heat lamp inside a square made of cinder blocks and put a galvanized waterer over the top of it during the winter months?

5. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    My chickens will not eat Creeping Charlie. Or really anything that is not a perennial, lol.

6. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Do you mean to keep the water from freezing? They do sell heated bases for the waterers. I was stubborn last winter and just hauled out warm water 3 times a day for all the birds. Towards the end of winter I was sick and tired of it and got the heated base. Spring showed up and I didn't use it but I will use it this coming winter. Or did you have something else planned with your set up? Heat lamps can be very dangerous!!

7. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie-sorry you had bad renters! They really can make a nightmare of things. Your place in Florida sounds beautiful. My father and mother in law have been talking of buying a place in Florida for years. They finally decided they might become snow birds instead and they bought a 'summer place' just a few miles away from us. I much prefer that to losing them the whole year to Florida. I am glad to hear that Bert is well from his foot injury and is giving you the toads you had wanted. How are the chicks of his growing in size compared to the other ones? Is there a noticeable difference in genes? Maybe your creamettes are very sensitive and all the things you have tried is too much change for them.....idk just a thought that maybe they need super consistency.

Minne-how is it going with the Battle of the Weasel? Any luck yet?

8. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    I had a cockerel trying to crow today for the first time. I was so excited, haha!

1 person likes this.
  9. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Just do a search on the site, I found this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/428896/my-diy-water-heater

The chicken chick did this: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/11/make-cookie-tin-waterer-heater-under-10.html

I use 2 waterers, a 2 gallon pail with a bird bath deicer and a pond water pump with horizontal nipples (vertical nipples will freeze up):
    [​IMG]

And I also use a heated dog dish with a black rubber dog dish placed inside of it for easy change out. But when it gets below zero I have to take out the rubber dog dish as it cannot heat enough through it. I place a gallon jug filled with sand in the middle of the dog dish so that the chickens don't walk in it, or sit on the edge while drinking it and get frostbit toes and feet. I may skip this one next year. I had it as a back up to the horizontal nipple waterer incase it froze, but it didn't freeze all winter.
    It is here:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Wow Ralphie, I can't imagine. those people would be gone yesterday! Jerks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by