Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Both our cats are being blantant tramps right now. I think the young tom killed the kittens and is breeding the female again. I most definitely need to get him in to the vet next week! I would like to have another cat or two to go after mice out here, but that is it! She just had the litter 3 weeks ago, so I doubt they are still alive if he is already after her.

2. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    So does anyone want a Marans rooster yet?

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Wrong way to ask that question...

Of course I want one. BUT I do not have room for one or need one. I need a cochin rooster, BUT I do not have a place for one yet. I need more coops.

I want lots of things... I am an chicken addicted, so I want all of them. I am trying to just be addicted a little and saying "no" some of the time and "yes" the rest of the time. BUT the thought of those dark eggs is tempting.

Does anyone else find egg customers to be a pain in the rear?

I got a call a few days ago, and had him call my DW. She said he wanted 10 dozen eggs, so she saved eggs and covered the sign on the road to get him his 10 dozen. He avoided her calls for a day, then yesterday wanted her to "deliver" the eggs. We refuse to drive 15 feet to sell someone $2.50 eggs (free range and fresh at that), but we will meet them somewhere if we happen to be going that way. She had a wake to go to last night, the guy wanted her to meet him in Rogers. When he found out the wake was in St. Paul he said that is closer I will meet you at the funereal home. He never showed.

His number is now on our refuse to sell too list. BTW @ 2.50 I am not even covering expenses, I am thinking of going to $3.00. As I told my wife I can boil and crush them and feed them back to the girls for that price.

See I can even vent about chicken, people or something from Florida.

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie-Does that happen a lot when people want eggs and then never show? And 10 dozen eggs is such a large amount to ask for and then not get them. What a crapper.

Minnie-How is your weasel hunt going? Too bad on your kittens. I just realized about 2 weeks ago that is what happened to the cat here that had her first batch of kitties. Too bad. Those darn tom cats!!

I must be having bad luck this go around with this batch of chickens. All of them are scared of the dark, feather picking to the point of bleeding on the polish and now eye injuries. I had never had any one with an eye injury now I have had 3 in one month. Why are they picking so much on each other? It is super frustrating. And I have to kick them out of the coop all the time to go outside. Oh and a brahma has a leg injury. I wonder if it hurt itself jumping down from the roost and slipped on the floor. They sound like thunder when they hit the ground. I was thinking maybe the roosts are too high for them. I don't know. I am getting super frustrated though. I have looked that brahma over and over and cannot see or feel any injury but it won't use one leg. But I am not sure I would be able to feel anything unless it were majorly broken anyway. I told DH that it needs to be put down. I don't know how to help it and it is not healing up yet (its been about 5 days I think) or should I wait a little longer? *sigh* I don't know.

Well, we are in for a cold night tonight. I hope the seeds that I planted in the garden don't freeze. It is supposed to rain all day too. Is that a good or bad thing I am not sure.

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

I got babies!! 1 hatched at 10 38 pm another hatched this morning and three hatched this morning too. There is also 8 pipped eggs!!!!

3 people like this.
  6. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Ralphie, that is horrible! To not show for ten dozen eggs is inexcusable.

Cute chicks! An incubator is top priority next Spring! How exciting.

7. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Thanks!! I am really pleased with the Hova bator 1602n.

8. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Can we talk feed? How do you cut feed costs?

I attempted to sprout some oats the other day and it was a big fail! I followed the directions that I read, but it never sprouted and instead just molded. I'd love to raise some worms or something, but my DH told me you need beetles to get mealworms? I have quite the aversion to insects with many legs. I'm sorry, but anything more than four is just unnatural. Not sure how many Beetles have, but they fall in the creepy category. Ideas?

9. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    Have you considered fermented feed?

10. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

I can't help you with the Worms's and sprouts but I can help with some things. I have noticed our feed consumption go down to eating less than 15 pounds of feed a day for our 70 birds. Before we free ranged we went through almost a bag of feed a day. Now we dont go through even a quarter bag of feed. It Aldo help for me that I make my ducks and new goslings forage for all there food. And they dont starve and the goslings still grow like weeds on this new grass that's high in protueb and other things. This is also how I've been raising me BBB and BBW turkeys.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by