Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Well that looks almost exactly like our 1890's coop but our door is more to the right and we have a window to the left of the door and the upper part is to the "attic". We need to put a vented cover over our's as well.

2. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    Why did your poor 80 year old mother have to spend 2 hours catching him? Hmmm?

3. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    I think CottonLouie lives near Cotton, and being from "da Range" myself, cottonwoods don't grow that far north. They do have lots of pines, poplars, & birch. Now in Foley which is near St Cloud and in "hardwood Forest" areas, we have lots of Cottonwood.

4. cottonlouie

cottonlouie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Cotton
    "think CottonLouie lives near Cotton,"

Yup.

5. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    Duh, ok, I am officially "Thick"! Never thought to connect "cotton" with poplars. Maybe too focused on the name of the town and all the cotton from our local "Cottonwoods"

6. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    I still have 3 drifter African geese living in my backyard. Do they taste good?

7. Cearbhael

Apr 2, 2015
    Which is why "normally" mom kitties chase male cats away and hide the babies. Toms will "Always" kill the litters to ensure "their" genes are in the next batch. How they know a litter isn't theirs is beyond me, but our girl kittie sent her brother packing just in case.

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    That is the question, isn't it? I think he was the father of the litter, so why he would have killed them, I don't know. And she never chased him off at all. She had a terrible case of tapeworm just before having them and I had treated her just 3 days before they were born. Who knows? If I suddenly see kittens climbing around in the next week, I will know they are alive, and if I don't, we will likely find them when we clean out the granary :p

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I can't say how the geese taste yet. We will do ours up in a couple weeks. Any good cooking tips? How did you end up with africans running in your backyard?

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Haven't caught the blasted thing yet. I am keeping things mowed down and hopefully it won't want to return to the open pasture. I am rebaiting anyway to see if I do catch something when I put out the next batch of youngsters.

Sorry to hear of you bad streak. If you having that much problem with pecking, there is something they don't have that they need. Take a look at your feed and see if they might need more protein. That would be the first thing I would think would cause it. If that doesn't work, then look at the vitamins in it. There has to be something they are lacking in.
    And you Brahma, isolate her for a couple of weeks. If she pulled something, it takes a while to recover, and the bigger the bird, the longer it will take. Put it in a kennel or small pen where its movement is somewhat limited, and don't use a roost for it. If you have big birds like the Brahma, then I wouldn't set that roost any higher than a foot and a half to two feet. If they don't injure themselves with a higher roost, they may end up with foot problems eventually from it.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by