Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    WEASELS!!!!

I hate Weasels.

I just talked to my DW. I lost two birds to a weasel last night. She had no idea what it was, but it just took the heads, and one was in the Creamette prison. Thelma ost the top of her head but is still alive. DW has her in ICU now, but is afraid she will not make it. She put antibiotic on it and gave her some antibiotics in her water. She is drinking a little but in shock and not moving much.

The other bird is a white one. When I asked which white one she became frustrated with me. I only have 3. ICU baby who is an EE. The Truken who is a Delaware and the hussy white rock. I am afraid it is the white rock as she was found out in the tall grass and DW says it looks like she fought to the end.

I hate being in Florida, I cannot protect them here. I am having her move the Creamettes and Louise to Berts pen, and Going to have the dog spend the night sleeping in the coop. That will be one unhappy dog come morning.

I want to be home!

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ralphie, I know your pain! I am sorry one of those little )(*$)**$) s found your flock. Do you have traps? I have been using organs and heads from the killed birds or from culls to bait my traps. I have been keeping things mowed, and think it has deterred it from coming back here. But the traps are staying out. I get a feeling you have a few trees around that means more cover around your place. I hope you can kill that d*** thing fast!

3. Hello everyone!
    I haven't been on this thread in ages! How's everyone been? Not to to much new with me, my chickens new run is finished, I'm just coming back from a vacation down in southern MN, and my Red Sex Link hen I got back in April is still getting integrated into the pecking order.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

The part that kills me is being so far away when it happened.

We have a plan for tonight.

My coops are "secure" from normal critters, weasels are just so small and hard to keep out. It would be cost prohibited to make a coop secure from them.

My younger dog is not going to like the plan. She is spending the night in the coop, with the chickens, but in the feed area to scare the weasel I hope. I would put her right in with the chickens but I fear she would go nuts in the coop over night and hurt a bird. She is not going to like her new duty as watch dog, but it should help.

The Creamettes and the other Cochin went into Bert's pen, Bert went into that cage I use to transfer and pick up birds. The one you put Thelma and Louise in. By doing that I keep the creamette eggs pure and can still hatch them.

Thelma is moving into the bathroom in a cut off paper barrel so she can be watched closer

I have two broodys, one in a dog catch set to hatch on Monday and one just set in my quarantine pen, it is made of 1/2 inch hardware cloth and fairly secure. The one hatching Monday is the most vulnerable. She is in a dog kennel on the floor of Bert's coop in the open area.

I think this is the best we can do with me stuck here in Florida. When I get home I am making a dozen barrel traps.

5. I'm sorry Ralphie! Weasels are such horrible flock killers! We had one around last fall-winter but luckily it never touched my flock. We put out traps but never caught it, I think (and hope) it was either killed or moved on.

6. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    So is anybody interested in marans rooster yet?

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Is he trained to kill weasels?

I am awaiting the arrival of carpet installers, I do not dare start a new project until they get here. Promptness is not rewarded nor encouraged down here.

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I haven't caught a weasel yet, but my weasel trap caught this![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. scandiafowl

scandiafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota

I know I shouldn't laugh.. but ... Good luck with that! :)

10. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN

Oh my goodness!! Dead or alive?? Poor little kitty cat! ;)

Ralphie, we're all going to miss hearing about the white rock's escapades.

Good luck on the rest of your hatch, Scandiafowl.

AussieGal, best of luck in finding some good care for your husband.

Thanks for all the congrats, everyone :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by