Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Pure bred Pekins

2. Wild Child

Wild Child Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2015
    Dakota County Mn
    Hmmm... At what age would you be selling them?

3. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

I'd say about a month. It all depends when she decides they r fine on their own. I might be able to part with 2 or 3 now and let her raise the rest but I woold have to think about it.

4. Wild Child

Wild Child Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2015
    Dakota County Mn
    Hmmm. I'll have to think about it!

5. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

OK cool!! Pm me your decision!! They r so cute I dont mind if they stay or leave.:D I'll be playing with them so they hopefully like and r used to people:D

6. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    My aunt lost her welsh corgi to a German Shepard her neighbours owned. She talked until she was blue in the face. Even after her dog was torn to shreds, they sided with there dog, and the police said there was nothing they could do (found that really hard to take) I live in a town where an unleashed or uncontained dog is illegal. We still have trouble with loose uncontained dogs. Our neighbour told me that there was a loose pit bull trying to get after her chickens. She was warning me but so far we haven't seen him. I have electric fencing which is a very effective deterrent.

7. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Does anyone keep heritage turkeys?

We currently have 5 BBB turkey poults and they are just awesome. I'm really going to miss them after their time is up this Fall. We'd like to get a small flock of heritage turkeys (maybe a Tom and 2 or 3 Hens?). We're hoping to keep a flock year round, hatch some poults every year, maybe sell a few on CL, and probably keep a few for the freezer.

Just curious what breed everyone chose to keep and if there was any particular reason?

8. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Narragansett r a great DP breed and r very pretty. Sadly we lost our Narragansetts last winter.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have Slate blues and whatever JJ and Ethel are. And about 40 babies.

And just incase you forgot what they look like and because I am always looking for an excuse to post their pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  10. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Well, for some good news: my CX chicks and the latest batch of hatchees are getting along well. Even my daughter's bunny is enjoying the run.

The Sweeter Heater is working very well in the new brooder box my son made for me.

And in a week or so, I am going to try and incubate another batch of chicks. My first batch, I had two viable chicks (which met an untimely end :(). The second batch hatched at about a 50% rate, which isn't awesome but was much more encouraging than the first - I am using the dry hatch method with a still-air incubator. If I have broodies, I'll give them some eggs too. They certainly get better hatch rates than I do.

My husband has caught the bug, though, and wants me to pull up a couple homemade incubator plans for him. IDK if I want a big fancy thing like Minnie has! But something that hatches around 50-60 would be nice. I know there are BYC threads devoted to this, so I'll have to research a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by