1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

X2

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

The wood chips is a good idea. I cant think of anything right now. I'll look and see what I can find on the internet

3. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you! I've been 'googling' for ideas as well but nothing has jumped out at me just yet.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Scott maybe some kind of rock garden or decorative stones would work in that area.

I live in the country and I consider my chickens my lawn ornaments.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Why not plant some kind of shrub like azalea or lilac, maple shrub, etc? It will give cover to the hens and be kind of like a screen for your neighbors.

As far as keeping it pretty on your own side, others may have better ideas. If I had a limited area, I would control their "grazing" by using portable fencing or paddocks of some kind. Reliming & reseeding after they leave an area & not letting them denude the area before moving them.

It would be interesting to see a list of "chicken proof" plants!

6. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    My chickens shred any perennials they come across so skip the flowers :). We have a bed along our gravel drive that is all bushes with mulch on the ground. They do scratch in the mulch, but they don't go crazy. They really like to hide and nap under the bushes, though! And they don't bother the foliage. It was planted here before we moved in so I don't know what they are exactly.

7. scandiafowl

scandiafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota
    Somewhat of a happy ending..

Called McMurray this morning and explained what happened with the eggs. They were very cool about it and gave me 50% credit, which I immediately used to buy Jersey Giant chicks..

Faith restored.

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have always had good dealing with McMurray. Even though I don't buy birds from them any more, I still buy a lot of supplies through them. They have always been easy to work with every time.

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you were to plant perennials or shrubs or trees, you will need to put wire down all around the plants to stop them from scratching the roots to heck. Laying down hardware cloth, then mulching over that might protect plants. Honestly, I think the easiest thing would be to make raised beds 1-foot or more high, and use large planters to fill in areas and cover the naked areas the chickens go in. Put down mulch or even compost or grass clippings to let them scratch through in the paths between the beds and planters, it will attract goodies for them to eat and you don't have to worry about mowing as much between. You could also put some veggie in those raised beds that they would enjoy eating from later in the season, if you like that idea. Raised beds can have chicken wire mini-fences put around the top to keep the birds out too. I think that is the safest approach to having plants and chickens together.

10. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    My DH sent me a text on his way to work. He saw a mink/weasel (???) just down the gravel drive near some CRP land that attracts a lot of animals (which is great, but don't care so much for the predators it draws). Ugh! I promptly put the dog outside for protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by