Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Your in the Elk River area aren't you? Maybe him and I could get together and build 2 of them. Using nothing more than our man brains and a few tools.

1 person likes this.
  2. cottonlouie

cottonlouie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Cotton
    My 5 week old chick attacked my chihuhua. He flew at the dog, jumped on his back, and pecked him. My chi nipped to get the chick off and i dont blame him! So, being new to this, is it safe for my chi to let this nasty boy grow to eating size, or ......

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am with you on this one. With the description of the gunk, it sounds to me like it was something that stabbed into his foot rather than bumble. In my experience, in the early stages, and not to sound gross, but the pus is more like Elmers glue that makes you want to vomit when the smell hits the nose. And when it doesn't get caught early, it just spreads laterally and doesn't hold together like a cylinder shape or anything. It is rather gross either way. And it is very good that you were able to get him on the mend.

4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Well, I hope it is one of those Cochins making herself worth your getting her!
    You gotta be happy that you are getting more poults, but I get the frustration of being gone and having to rely on someone else to do the things you tend to yourself when you are home. I swear, every time I leave someone in charge of the flock and I am gone more than overnight, I end up with dead birds somehow.

5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I feel for those of you who have lost birds to other people's dogs. All I got to say is that I have a .22 and I am a REALLY good shot.

2 people like this.
  6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I agree with Minnie I dont care if its my neighblr thats a super good friend. If their dog kills a chicken or any poultry here it has a one way ticket to doggy heaven. Hate to sound so cruel about it but I'm not going to sit and watch my "pets" get killed and do nothing to the problem.

7. scandiafowl

scandiafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota
    Would it not be fair to give the dog owners fair warning?

8. True!! Warn the dog owner that you will shoot an animal that is killing your pets and this alone may take care of it.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Tell the dogs owner his dog killed your chickens, Do not say you are going to shoot it. You open yourself up for huge long lawsuits.

Neighbors dogs are best taken care of in the dead of night with no witnesses.

Shoot, shovel, shut-up.

I know the law says you can kill any animal harassing, harming , do damage or about to do damage. BUT lawyers can make anyone seem guilty no matter how innocent.

People sue knowing they have no chance of winning but also knowing you have to hire and attorney and spend thousands defending yourself. Then they offer you a settlement for half what it costs you to defend yourself and force you to settle or go broke. The attorney and plaintiff do not care as the only costs they have are the attorneys time, and he does not get paid unless he gets money from you..

Nice guys finish last is a saying for a reason. When dealing with a neighbors dog and you are serious about sending it to doggy heaven do not try to be the nice guy. There is no way you will be considered a NICE guy once you threaten to or kill their little loving Fifi.

Now I have to disagree with Minnie, I do not use a 22. I keep a loaded 17 by my door. way better faster longer range rifle.

10. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Question for you expert chicken folks. I live in suburbia and because of how the streets run in our neighborhood, three of us homeowners have backyards that are triangle shape and therefore they meet in one corner. Of the three of us, we used to have the nicest landscaped backyard but then I went and purchased chickens. I've fenced them off to the back half of the backyard which is where my yard meets the backyard of my two neighbors. Over the past week, both neighbors have begun nice landscaping projects near that corner whereas my corner of the lawn is barren and ugly as the chickens have killed all grass and vegetation in that area. I would really like to do some sort of landscaping back there as it looks really, well too be frank, it's an eyesore. Looking to see what some of you have done with the area of your lawn where the chickens spend much of their time.

My first though was to put a colored mulch down but as we know, chickens love to scratch so it wouldn't be long before all of the mulch was in a pile 10 feet high and I would be back to a dirt barren lawn except now I would have a pile of mulch. A large area of their run is shaded but 1/3 of the run is in the sun. Along with something to cover the lawn of dirt, I was also thinking of flowers and plants the chickens wouldn't eat and dig up.

Any ideas on how to 'beautify' our run? Although our neighbors, of whom we're friends with, say they don't care, I would still like to make it a little more pleasing to their eyes when they spend time in their backyard.

If you have pictures of what you have time, I would really like to see them.

Any ideas? Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by