Minnesota!

I was also wondering if anyone could fill me in what you do for coop insulating? We bought the insulation, and were looking at having to buy plywood to cover it because I was under the impression that anything else they would just peck apart...but someone on here mentioned foam board. Does that work? I had assumed they'd peck that too, but if not that would be wonderful news as that plywood is not cheap, we're pretty broke after buying the automatic coop door and a rather elaborate 5th birthday party I'm throwing for my son this weekend haha.

I was also wondering if anyone could fill me in what you do for coop insulating? We bought the insulation, and were looking at having to buy plywood to cover it because I was under the impression that anything else they would just peck apart...but someone on here mentioned foam board. Does that work? I had assumed they'd peck that too, but if not that would be wonderful news as that plywood is not cheap, we're pretty broke after buying the automatic coop door and a rather elaborate 5th birthday party I'm throwing for my son this weekend haha.

One of my chickens' favorite snacks is foamboard ;)

Well shoot. I just threw like, 4 of them away that had been piling up haha. At this point I definitely won't be able to build up enough of a supply before winter, but what a great idea!

Dog food bags are made with similar stuff too. In fact that's what I have up on my roof. But certainly as you get bags you can gradually insulate. your birds will acclimate to the winter and colder weather in the process...unless for some reason you need to insulate right now...? Start with your north and West sides and just move along as you get the bags. One could check with neighboring farms too...all sorts of feed comes in those bags. Check the feed stores etc. Also lumber yards when they get their shipments of lumber in it come wrapped in a heavy duty black plastic...one could check there...

I am in Brainerd and have lots of the bags. I have put plastic sheeting on the walls of the barn then cover it with the feed sacks. How many would you need for your project?

Back
Top Bottom