Minnesota!

Seeing how few animals of all species are exhibiting these days is a bit depressing to me. I grew up showing in 4-H and we show dairy cattle at open shows, as well as some beef. To go to some fairs now, there are so many empty stalls and empty barns, it makes me sad. There are some good shows in MN to attend, but they are located in Hutchinson and New Ulm, then there is the State Fair. We do have competitive shows here in MN, because there are some excellent breeders in this region of the country, but the nice thing about that is, you can see some really wonderful specimens of breeds. The State Fair is a large show, and the State open show in October last year had nearly 3000 birds. It was wonderful! That is how you can start networking with other breeders, by going to the shows. Otherwise, there are groups on Facebook that have many people from around the state and region who are poultry owners and exhibitors.
It would be great to see more people getting together, physically, not just online, and sharing their poultry experiences and holding events.

This is my first year having chickens. Never really thought about showing in 4H or anything like that but it sounds like it could be fun. What does it all entail?

This is my first year having chickens. Never really thought about showing in 4H or anything like that but it sounds like it could be fun. What does it all entail?
Good question. I need to look into 4-H for grand kids. Olivia doesn't think she will do it, but Aiden might with the alpacas. Leeland is too young now, but I could see him with the chickens. He gets out of bed in the morning asking to go down to the chickens.

Well, I have wanted to repaint inside the coop for the last year, now I got my chance; I found 2 hens have Scaly Leg Mites! I took everything out and cleaned, sprayed, & started painting. The girls (& Mr Sissy Pants) are confined to the run for the next couple of days until everything is dry & aired out. I will need to treat them. I'm thinking I will need to treat the youngsters too just because of the proximity of the coops.

Speaking of the Juvies, I have 5 or 6 boys out of 14. The Icelandic that got injured is a boy, he was just so sweet while in the 'hospital' ward. He is back with the flock now. At least I have time to figure out who will replace Chuckie, aka Mr. Sissy Pants.

We have had thousands of little baby toads running or hopping
roll.png
all over lately! so many you can't walk without accidentally stepping on some! they are cute and the chickens think they are delicious of course!

roll.png
all over lately! so many you can't walk without accidentally stepping on some! they are cute and the chickens think they are delicious of course!
Saw a few hundred of those at my dad's place, around .5 an inch. Maybe I should scoop some up for my backyard ladies.

roll.png
You may want to be a bit careful. Toads secrete a toxin that can be harmful to animals, part of their defense system.

http://herpnet.net/Minnesota-Herpet...minnesota-frogs-toads-and-treefrogs&Itemid=63

From the link above.
Toads have many defenses against predation, but causing warts is not one of them! Toads do not cause warts. But they do produce a toxin in the parotoid glands behind the eyes, It is only harmful if it is ingested or rubbed into the eyes. This toxin can make animals very sick. Some animals, such as garter snakes (Thamnophis sp.), are not harmed by this poison, so instead the toad puffs itself up with air to look bigger and to prevent the snake from swallowing it. It also urinates, but this really doesn't do any harm, it just makes it unappetizing to the predator.

You may want to be a bit careful. Toads secrete a toxin that can be harmful to animals, part of their defense system.

http://herpnet.net/Minnesota-Herpet...minnesota-frogs-toads-and-treefrogs&Itemid=63

From the link above.
Toads have many defenses against predation, but causing warts is not one of them! Toads do not cause warts. But they do produce a toxin in the parotoid glands behind the eyes, It is only harmful if it is ingested or rubbed into the eyes. This toxin can make animals very sick. Some animals, such as garter snakes (Thamnophis sp.), are not harmed by this poison, so instead the toad puffs itself up with air to look bigger and to prevent the snake from swallowing it. It also urinates, but this really doesn't do any harm, it just makes it unappetizing to the predator.

My girls are still alive and well, I trust they wouldn't eat something they "know" would be harmful. Minnesota they don't free range in winter so whenever it's possible I'm going to let them out.
Toads or no toads.

Anyone else in the area raise cornish cross?
If you are looking for the white freaks for meat, the only place to get those is from a big hatchery. They are strains that can't be duplicated by just anyone because they have been worked for decades by the hatcheries and generally can't live long enough on a farm to reproduce.
I like Stromberg's for Cornish Rocks, very good growth, very good consistency of size/growth and good temperament, not spazzy.

My dog has tried a "toad kill". But immediately spit them back out on the occasions she's tried. I imagine they aren't as palatable as tree or leopard frogs. I've seen my roo try the frogs but never toad. I've also seen him try to figure out how to dismember a baby painted turtle but the protective shell did its job! Fun to watch the birds on the prowl!

Back
Top Bottom