Minnesota!

Selling some of my adult Icelandic flock, (ad on mpls craigslist). If anyone on here is interested let me know!

I'm going to have to check that out. Of the 3 Icelandics I got from you 1 is a boy. He some how got injured & I nursed him back to 100%. The big problem is I have like 6 roos in this batch & need to decide who to keep.

Which brings me to the big question: I'm planning on getting rid of Chuckie aka Mr. Sissypants, & have one of the new boys take over. What is the best way to make this transition?

I'm going to have to check that out. Of the 3 Icelandics I got from you 1 is a boy. He some how got injured & I nursed him back to 100%. The big problem is I have like 6 roos in this batch & need to decide who to keep.

Which brings me to the big question: I'm planning on getting rid of Chuckie aka Mr. Sissypants, & have one of the new boys take over. What is the best way to make this transition?
Let me know if you decide you want some/all!
Glad to hear you got him feeling better!
Once you get rid of the sissy one I would have the new one in a small pen in your main coop for a few days-week then start letting him out with the ladies and see how it goes.

Turns out that my 10 of my 4.5 week old Salmon Faverolles chicks are cockerels!!! If anyone is interested please let me know!! The parents of these are from Cloverleaf, Dick Boulanger, and Peter Merlin lines

I have decided to let my Barnevelders go this year. They are nicely color, sweet as the day is long (the girls anyway), and decent layers, but they are just not close to the standard as I want to see them. I should probably open up a little more space for the rest of the flock anyway.
So, I have 4 hens and one rooster, then I have about 50 'chicks' under 6-weeks, mostly just a couple or 3 weeks old. If anyone is interested in getting any, they would be a lovely addition to any flock for eggs and just all around beauty to spoil. Let me know. I am posting them on Craigslist as well.

Anybody have an idea what attacked my chicken? I came home from fishing today to find several piles of feathers in my yard, mostly along the fence. From the color and quantity of feathers I figured my easter egger was a goner, but I found her alive under a woodpile outside my fenced in yard. Several tail feathers are missing as are nearly all her neck feathers. She has a few very small (pin prick sized) wounds on her neck as well.

I believe this happened in broad daylight too since there was an egg from her today, and she usually lays around 9am.

Anyone have any insight as to what would mess with a chicken like that and still let it live?

My possible guesses are neighborhood cat, neighborhood dog, large bird of prey, fox or coyote. We also have possums and raccoons, but the daytime nature of the attack leads me to think it wasn't one of them.

I would suspect a small dog or a cat. Do you live near any woods? The fact that she was still alive, I wouldn't think it was a raptor, fox or yote. Opossum would have killed it and ate the guts, coon would have taken the head and eaten in, but they are nocturnal, you eluded to. I would set a trap and keep the girls inside for a few days.

Oh, but watch her Phil, and maybe get her on some vitamins and electrolytes if you aren't using them already. Put BlueKote on any wounds and keep a close eye on her. Sometimes they survive an attack and are fine, but sometimes they end up dying of shock after. Good luck.

Thanks Theri, I will get some bluekote in the morning. She seems to be ok, walking eating and drinking like nothing happened. Except for being half plucked and the few cuts/bite marks I'm hoping she'll pull through. I will keep them in the tractor coop for a few days and keep a close eye out for infections.

This is the same bird that got herself trapped in the rabbit livetrap, so hopefully she's just good at handling stress.

I do live across the highway from a nature preserve, but I'm thinking the cat sounds more likely. The woulds on the neck are consistent with cat teeth, I'm just surprised whatever it was didn't finish the job, especially after getting my bird over the fence. Kind of hoping that my girl got a good scratch in to run the perp off.

Back
Top Bottom