Minnesota!

Sorry to hear you lost one..

I hope the hawk chokes on a chicken bone... Airborne killers are the worst.

I have no idea what a Buckeye is, but I have 35 hens, I think I could spare one. I was going to butcher some, but I just fell in love with them instead....(stupid me)

If you are interested let me know.
Thanks Ralphie, the Buckeye is a heritage breed from ohio, great weather resistance and temperment, an excellent forager, plus good egg production. I'm actually heading down to Minnie's place tomorrow to get another girl, but I appreciate the offer.

My roommate was letting the dog out and caught the hawk mid-meal. He said the thing was huge, over 7' wingspan, when he scared it away.

Sorry to hear you lost one..

I hope the hawk chokes on a chicken bone... Airborne killers are the worst.

I have no idea what a Buckeye is, but I have 35 hens, I think I could spare one. I was going to butcher some, but I just fell in love with them instead....(stupid me)

If you are interested let me know.
Oh, Ralphie! If you haven't tried Buckeyes up nort, you should give dem a try! I will be hatching as early as I can after January 1 and I have about 16 hens/pullets in the breeding pens for this coming hatching season. They are perfect for Minnesota weather, good hardy birds and lay well too. You should look up the history of the breed. I will PM you a link. Phil can tell you what a nice hen his last one was, so he got a replacement pullet this afternoon.

Minnie: That Buckeye Hen I have is a beast! I love her! I picked her up from a lower roost and put her up to snuggle with the others on a higher roost last night and she has some weight to her! She's square and sturdy. She's so neat.

I love the size of the birds I've gotten from you. Impressive birds.

~BTC

Minnie: That Buckeye Hen I have is a beast! I love her! I picked her up from a lower roost and put her up to snuggle with the others on a higher roost last night and she has some weight to her! She's square and sturdy. She's so neat.

I love the size of the birds I've gotten from you. Impressive birds.

~BTC
Why thank you, Bogtown! They are a surprisingly thicker bird. So many look at them and think they are small, but you get your hands on them and there is a good sized bird in there. Not a lot of fluff either. My hens weigh between 6-6.5# when mature. I have one who is 6# 8oz. Good, solid birds who don't let a little white fluff on the ground scare them. And such nice personalities! I had to kick the mouse trying to nest under the heated dog bowl out yesterday and one of the girls went right after it and then ran all over the pen. I don't think the rest even knew she had anything. LOL

That's what I'm hoping for in the coop is a mouser. I can't wait to see her do it. Lol. I've had a weasel come in because of the mice. But if we can keep that under control with the buckeye then I'm happy.
Just so you know, they aren't actually "mousers", not like a cat, that is. They do go after mice when they skitter through a pen, but so does every other breed I have had, even Silkies! It is kind of a stretch of the truth to say they hunt mice. I was happy to see her take it out. I have had my LF Cochins go after them pretty well too.

Well Minnie. The rest of my flock just sort of accept the mice as roommates much to my chagrin. I'm counting on her to be a mouser. Haha! Lots of pressure on that buckeye hen! Lol. But I understand. I tried prepping her with some tree frogs and such this late summer. But she was kind of skiddish. Hopefully her natural push for extra protein to keep her buckeyeish figure may tempt her towards the unwanted roommates. Hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom