Minnesota!

Ralphie, Why would you not look to acquire an Ameraucana rooster as opposed to an EE. It would allow you to find a particular color variety and help to propagate pullets that would lay eggs of a better blue color. I have two EE roosters from this past summer that were supposed to be pullets. You are welcome to either one or both at no charge, but I am located in Hermantown.

I am not real fussy, I just thought a EE would be easier to find than a real Ameraucana.

I will keep your 2 in mind, and contact you before my next trip to Duluth. Unless you want to get them hiking boots and a little suitcase and drop them at the Spirit Mountain ramp to 35 and have them hitch hike south.

Happy New Year's fellow Minnesotans!
woot.gif

And to you,,,,,,,

AND PREPARE FOR SUNDAY NIGHT TEMPS!!!!

Yes! I will be running two heat lamps in the coop so hopefully I won't have to deal with any frostbite.
fl.gif

After all my endless discussions online and fretting, we have succumbed to the heat lamp. I have only used it a couple of times but will use in on Sunday night. The roof of my coop is open, but there have been times that no matter how open the hen house is - the humidity is in the 70-80% and frostbite is inevitable . . . so far - very minor - just unsightly. Humidity should be low, so that will nip frostbite - but since my coop is open, we will plug that heat lamp in (after a close inspection for dust and security). Even with the lamp on, most of the hen house hovers around 10 degrees when it gets that cold. But in the end, I sleep better at night. It's not so drastically warm that they'll be shocked should the power go out. . . I hope. They also have an open door, so I'm hoping that if - in the event of a fire - they will know to head out the door to safety.
D.gif
-(fire!)

I have my flat paneled heater but in -25 it's like putting peanut butter on an open wound...worthless. -25 is cruel weather and it usually drops lower than my weather app says it will be...too. I'll bring in my sturdy heat lamp as well. 2 points of connection in case one fails.

Hope the New Year brings all good things to my fellow chicken keepers. I have learned to keep only breeds that are not impacted by the cold winter temps that we are subject to. Thus no need for heat lamps or heaters.

Back
Top Bottom