Minnesota!

I have to share. About a week after losing our Yellow Lab this happened at our friend's house.

In the batch of chocolates is one little pink nosed yellow girl. (Jasmine was the only yellow female born to a chocolate mother) I don't know if it's destiny or what but we've decided to take her. It's too eery. And it looks like I'll be chicken training before I know it again.
Oh she is sooo sweet! how wonderful!

We lost our 12 year old setter at the end of February to cancer
sad.png
She was my hubby's hunting buddy and my muttster dog's best friend. We miss her terribly. DH decided he was ready to get someone to hunt with him so we also have a puppy picture to share. This is Wattson - born on February 25th - the day we lost our setter. We did not know that the dates correlated until we got him 2 weeks ago. He can't replace her, but we are looking forward to making some great memories with him. His parents are black but both he and his brother are yellow (only two in the litter).

Both of the puppies are very cute, and good luck in a fast training program. I really prefer my dogs with dark brown eyes and a black nose. Same as with my women, except for the black nose.

We lost our 12 year old setter at the end of February to cancer
sad.png
She was my hubby's hunting buddy and my muttster dog's best friend. We miss her terribly. DH decided he was ready to get someone to hunt with him so we also have a puppy picture to share. This is Wattson - born on February 25th - the day we lost our setter. We did not know that the dates correlated until we got him 2 weeks ago. He can't replace her, but we are looking forward to making some great memories with him. His parents are black but both he and his brother are yellow (only two in the litter).

Are his parents together or did they divorce? I have heard it happens in cases like this...
lau.gif

Cute pup. I have been looking for a male dog with the genetics this ones parents has to breed my pup too. ( my pup is 7, and I have had a hard time getting her to take). The parents are most likely both BbEe , anything else and they would not be black. Does your pup have black skin under the white hair? (it should, I think, if I recall correctly, where as Bogtowns should have white skin)

My pup is BbEe and if I can find another BbEe I could have a "rainbow" litter of all three lab colors. I to have her bred several times over the years with no luck. I am running out of time now as she has to have pups before she is 10 or they cannot be registered. I love labs and training them nearly as much as I love my birds.

In case your wondering your pup has to be BBee. Based on looks I am guessing BBee. Bogtowns would be bbee, and I think I am remembering that correctly.

B is the gene for black
E is the gene for being able to express the black

Last edited:
Quote: Parents are not together or divorced? Mom is a widow! Dad was 14 and didn't make it to even see his offspring. They hadn't planned on breeding them again.

Yes, he does have black skin (belly, nose, under paws.... We could always ask the breeder more about their genetics. He is a British lab. Hubby wanted one because they are supposed to be calmer. Whatever that means in a puppy!

Parents are not together or divorced? Mom is a widow! Dad was 14 and didn't make it to even see his offspring. They hadn't planned on breeding them again.

Yes, he does have black skin (belly, nose, under paws.... We could always ask the breeder more about their genetics. He is a British lab. Hubby wanted one because they are supposed to be calmer. Whatever that means in a puppy!

My pup's father was dual registered, she is the first lab that never calmed down by 2 years old. BUT I have noticed the pup has a much better nose than the mother for hunting.

It is a bummer about the father dying, I am amazed a 14 year old dog could even have pups. No need to check on genetics for me, I was hoping it was a Daddy Dog I could use. The black skin tells me everything I need to know, Thanks.

Jasmine at 1 year old had calmed. It was crazy and I'd never seen it before so young in a dog. DH hunting buddy saw her at a Christmas party we had one year (laying about in the middle of the kitchen under everybody's feet) and couldn't get over the calmness at her age. Gosh I miss that dog. I hope this new one gets calm fast. Not a fan of nutso, jumping around bonker dogs. I'm Getting old.

Minnie (or other incubators)

Is it possible for a chick to be too big to hatch? I seem to recall someone saying that once. We just did a turkey C-section on an egg that was pipped for 28 hours with no headway, the other 2 that pipped with it hatched hours ago. I have 66% humidity in the hatcher and the membrane seemed dried to the chick. When we did the C-section the poult seemed too big to get turned in the shell to hatch.

We had one pip on Tuesday morning and last night we decided to open the egg as the poult had stopped chirping and looked dead through the hole. It was dead but it too seemed to be too big to get turned around in the egg.

As soon as we removed enough of the shell we set the egg back in the incubator and the chick was out up and moving in minutes.

Minnie (or other incubators)

Is it possible for a chick to be too big to hatch?  I seem to recall someone saying that once.  We just did a turkey C-section on an egg that was pipped for 28 hours with no headway, the other 2 that pipped with it hatched hours ago.  I have 66% humidity in the hatcher and the membrane seemed dried to the chick. When we did the C-section the poult seemed too big to get turned in the shell to hatch.

We had one pip on Tuesday morning and last night we decided to open the egg as the poult had stopped chirping and looked dead through the hole. It was dead but it too seemed to be too big to get turned around in the egg.

As soon as we removed enough of the shell we set the egg back in the incubator and the chick was out up and moving in minutes.

It is possible for a chick to be too big to properly turn all the way based on the size of the egg. I have had this a few times. I always thought this is why it is not recommended to hatch pullet eggs if they are extra small, but to select for uniform overall size. I have had some small eggs pip in the middle due too big a chick. They usually can't be saved when that happens. I also have had chicks get mostly out only to take too long and get glued to the shell resulting in my having to peel them and bathe them before returning them to the Bator to dry.

Back
Top Bottom