Minnesota!

I think last time I posted about chickens, I was trying to graft a second batch of chicks onto my little silkie. Well, she took to them fine but they didn't seem to understand to get under her to get warm so I brought them back inside and thought I'd just brood them with the meatballs that were coming the next week.

Then my neighbor's dog ATE those two older chicks she had been raising!! I heard her clucking in a distressed way & looked out to see him chewing on something. When he finished, he put his nose to the ground & started sniffing after my hen. He backed off after I yelled at him, but I was really upset about those chicks. The neighbors never call the dog away from my chickens, they insist he's "herding" them, never mind the fact that they've never trained it to herd & hadn't given a command to do so. I can't be mad at the dog for having morons for owners, though.

Well, they're tying him up in the afternoons or so they say, so I can still let out my hens. My dog is friends with their dog, so won't chase him off. The day I was having my baby, my teenage son had to chase him off again - he was busted before he got a chicken but was obviously trying to get one. If he gets in my yard while the chickens are out again, I will be bringing him a nice piece of meat (maybe some chicken!), luring him into a kennel and dropping him off at animal control.

Anyway, I was able to soothe my little silkie with those other chicks. I think since she's not keeping after the older ones, she was more inclined to go sit on the younger chicks when they got cold. They are now following her "commands" and everything. I'd like to let her out with them, but I'm worried about that dog.

I need more portable pens!

Anyone in Minnesota have Silkies for sale, I live in North Dakota, and my younger sister had some and a raccoon opened a locked door(why are they so smart!!!) And killed all of them and ate 6 of the eleven. And we could pick them up.

OMGoodness! What a terrible day to read the MN thread. Weasels, raccoons, skunks, oh my!

I let the turkey poults out to free range today for a few hours. They did great and avoided the Wyandottes for the most part. However, they followed me everywhere and sat outside the door giving the distress call until I would come back out again. Silly turkeys!

Thank you so much for the suggestion of fermenting feed. I researched and started it earlier this week. Fed everyone their first fermented meal yesterday and they all loved it. Gobbled it right up. So far, so good!

Anyone in Minnesota have Silkies for sale, I live in North Dakota, and my younger sister had some and a raccoon opened a locked door(why are they so smart!!!) And killed all of them and ate 6 of the eleven. And we could pick them up.

If you don't find anyone closer to you, I know of a good breeder in Forest Lake, MN. I buy her pet quality birds, and they're still pretty nice. Her show quality birds are very good, I hear.
I'm almost over by Wisconsin, so I hope you find something closer.

The "core" we pulled out of Bert's foot was about 3/4th of an inch long and conical in shape resembling a "thorn" from a nasty bush or tree.  It was green in color almost a pant like green. At first I thought it was a "sticker" he got off a plant. It was just gross and smelled.

After removing it he started getting better and even walked on it some.  With Bert I have to worry and fight foot and leg problems all the time. Bert was not designed to live as long as he has. Nutrition is a problem with Bert. Too much protein and he gains weight and can develop health issues. Too  many carbs the same thing.

We have found feeding him "scratch" grains works best. We also make him "scratch" for them. It is in his genes to sit at a feeder and eat until he dies.

That said, I would not trade the experience of having raised and had "toads" by him. He is the friendliest coolest bird in the coop.  And his crows are so fun to hear.  I suggest everyone raise a CX as a pet, not just as dinner. The few people I know (all on here) that have a "mature" CX say the same thing.  I am hoping to have a Birthday party for Bert in July when he turns One. Which for a CX is a rare thing.

One thing you can not do with a CX is give them a roost over 6 inches high. They want to climb up, but getting down will kill them. I have picked Bert off high things too often and it scares me when I see him up in the air like that.  I now have him in with his Harem in a area he cannot get off the ground.

Ralphie, I really think there may have been the remains of a thorn that was decomposing or at least had become irretrievable mixed in with the infectious material in his foot. Getting rid of it was a really good thing since it was feeding that infection. I had a cat that had scratched his throat from a rat or mouse bone and got a very serious infection in his throat. He managed to lance from the outside by scratching his neck with his claw. I had to squeeze out all that green gunk for days and pour hydrogen peroxide over it. Was just horrible but you do what you have to do sometimes!

WEASELS!!!!

I hate Weasels.

I just talked to my DW. I lost two birds to a weasel last night. She had no idea what it was, but it just took the heads, and one was in the Creamette prison. Thelma ost the top of her head but is still alive. DW has her in ICU now, but is afraid she will not make it. She put antibiotic on it and gave her some antibiotics in her water. She is drinking a little but in shock and not moving much.

The other bird is a white one. When I asked which white one she became frustrated with me. I only have 3. ICU baby who is an EE. The Truken who is a Delaware and the hussy white rock. I am afraid it is the white rock as she was found out in the tall grass and DW says it looks like she fought to the end.

I hate being in Florida, I cannot protect them here. I am having her move the Creamettes and Louise to Berts pen, and Going to have the dog spend the night sleeping in the coop. That will be one unhappy dog come morning.

I want to be home!
So very sorry for your loss and I hate weasels too!

Back
Top Bottom