Minnesota!

Marv's was our favorite one till he quit selling bait. My husband did have a gun or 2 shipped there for pick up as well though.

My brother was Marv, he never had a firearms dealers license, The guy he shipped guns to was whoever my Brother sold the place too I think my Brother sold it in 2008 and moved to Alaska.

Congrats on the new grand baby, yey!
big_smile.png

We lived in zimmerman off of 281st by elk lake. zimmerman address, princeton schools. But, prior to that I lived in zimmerman, a block off of lake fremont, so zimmerman schools there, but my daughter went to school in otsego as I had to drop her at my mom's prior to work. I was just teasing though, she wanted to stay in elk river schools but the big reason we moved was I wanted to move closer to work, that extra 20 minutes in the commute was killing me. I work in Arden Hills.I can understand that. I lived in Arden Hills for 16 weeks. worst 5 years of my life! I have no idea where 281st is. I only know the area by old timer landmarks and not the 911 fancy citified addresses. Now if you said a mile (east, west, north or south ) of the pavilion, I would know right where you are. I doubt you know where the pavilion even was. LOL

I'll have to get up the gumption to watch those videos... I'm very bad with horror films or many suspense films. horror films I can't watch at all, suspense films my husband has to pre-screen and he lets me know if he thinks I can handle it or not. i'm terrible.

I am sure that some of you are not going to like my point of view, and that is okay, we don't all have to agree on everything.

Wolves. They were here first. Yes, I have the advantage of not living near them, but that WAS part of a choice we made. People move into areas where wild animals have lived for centuries, perhaps millenium, and then get upset and want to kill them all or drive them off. Someone sets up a sheep farm in wolf country, and suddenly, the wolf is evil? No, they are doing what instinct tells them to do. People want to live in "wild country" but they don't want the wild to bother them. That makes no sense whatsoever to me. We, as a species, have taken over so much of the Earth because we believe it is our right to. Who pays for this? The creatures who were here long before us. The wolf kept the deer population in check long before we came along, but we came and killed the wolf, and the deer population exploded, just as any predator/prey relationship does when the predator is removed. So, then people said, "We can keep the deer in check by hunting". But, they didn't, then we get diseases moving in that spread to more of the animals population because of the overpopulation, they become problems for urban areas and travel hazards and so forth.
This is just one example of how people stepped in and interfered with nature, thinking that since we are the top of the food chain that we have the right to do as we please.

I can appreciate more the Native American way of taking what you need to harvest and leaving the rest to propagate. But as humans, we have taken more than we have needed for so long that we are hurting the Earth for descendents.

Call me a tree hugger, I am okay with that. Call me a liberal. I am one. I have a right to take whatever point of view on this I feel is right, just as those who are anti-wolf have taken theirs.

I do want to point out something I saw just this week about the wolf in Yellowstone...
Since their reintroduction 20 years ago, the elk population (the main prey of the Yellowstone wolves) has dropped from, I believe 18,000, to 4500. Yes, I was shocked at that change and at first thought that it was a bad thing. However, the story went on to tell that as the elk population dropped, other species began to thrive, not animals, but plants. Due to the grazing in winter of the huge population of elk, the Aspen forest was being hit hard, and in the 20-years since, those trees have been able to take hold and recover.

People continue to disturb the "Circle of Life"/food chain. Eventually, we are going to destroy ourselves because we do not respect that there is a system that has been in operation on this planet for millions of years, and one day, we will follow the way of the dinosaur.

I feel bad for those of you who suffer losses from the predators around you. I feel bad when I lose them, but it is all part of the making the choice to keep critters that are food for other critters. We can build pens and fences and buildings, but Mother Nature finds a way.

That is all. I will say no more on the subject.

@KlopKlop and who ever else is interested.

I found some barley and wheat at the

Albert Lea Seed House
1414 W Main St, Albert Lea, MN 56007
(507) 373-3161

50# bags of wheat were around 15.00
50# bags of barley were 12.00 to 19.00

prices were 10 bags or less

I wasn't able to get any at the time i stopped in there but i will be going back.

Yeppers, some us disagree (me).

There is no way we can have how ever many billion people that we have without interfering with other species. It is the privilege of the apex species (me).

The deer kept in check by wolves does not hold water in my opinion, we opened areas in woodlands, we made golf courses everywhere that allow deer populations to boom. The we further increase the deer herd by making so many places where deer reside off limits for hunting. Deer are not the smartest creatures on God's green earth, but they are smart enough to know where every safe area is during hunting season. They will stay there after opening day.

This allows wolf populations to get higher than they should be. Wolves are like us, they are opportunistic feeders. It is easier to take a calf, pig, chicken or other farm animal than chase down a deer.

We all want more natural grown animals for our own food. We cannot have that and not have conflicts with nature. I am willing to bet the farmer owning a feedlot in Nebraska has his own conflicts with predators.

I do not think we disturb the circle of life, we are part of it, as any animal in the circle of life we will destroy competitors for food source. We actually are the only species that cares enough to not wipe out all the competitors.

There is not enough predator free land for us all to have our little farms on. So we have two choices:

1) Live amongst the wolves and do the best we can, which incudes destroying some
or
2) reduce the human population by around 6 billion.

For those of you picking the latter, I will start a sign up sheet for euthanasia.

1)
2)
3)
4)

Please only sign your own name to the list not someone else's!

BTW I still value you opinion, even if it is all wrong,,
gig.gif

Minnie, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Although I may not agree with them I try not to call names or point out faults.
I do wonder about the they were here first logic? Does that mean that man is not as entitled as another animal to change his surroundings to fit his perceived needs?
When there were many fewer wolves than now they were not a problem but just a nuisance. I my case I did not move into their domain, but they have moved into mine. They have seemingly come in and have more rights to exist than I or my dogs, chickens & etc ?
Some may think I live in the sticks, but that is not the case. I live in a city of the first class, in close proximity to schools, parks and densely populated residential neighborhoods.
There is a resident pack of Gray Wolves here, and they serve no useful purpose.

Hi guys! Yesterday our daughter gave birth to our 3rd grand son! Oliver Benjamin made a surprise entrance 6 wks early so he is in C-NICU for a few days, then will be hanging out in the NICU while he gains some weight, which, if he's like his brothers, won't take too long. I've had his brothers yesterday & today. Leeland, who was diagnosed mild autism, really couldn't handle all the changes this last week, had so many melt downs today. I drove 20 miles with 2 screaming/crying boys after leaving the hospital. Poor guys. I didn't want to tell my daughter that the Force is with him, still too hormonal :)

On a chicken note: Of the chicks that my Welsummer hatched, I have 2 roos. The real handsome one (Welsummer x EE) is trying to crow, really it's more of a croak, but he's adorable. @MinnesotaNice I still have all the pullets (1 is a roo) from the hatchery and yes they did refund me some $, but now it means coop additions. I suggested we getting rid of some, but DH thinks we should keep 'm all. I have to figure what boys are going to stay. I figure I can keep 4 boys (ea coop will have 18 girls), the choice is between the Speckled Sussex & the little croaker; I have one other boy in the chicklets, but he's feather footed.

I didn't send the daughter to Elk River High School. She wanted to finish out in Minnetonka with her friends so she drive for a couple of years.
ConGrads on the new Grandbaby...i cant wait till i have one...

Back
Top Bottom