Minnesota!

On our way to goodridge to go hunting!!
May the force be with you!

Hey BYC family!
I am sorry I haven't been around much this week. I have had a lot going on here. One of the school secretaries of 35-years was in a fatal car accident during all that stormy weather Wednesday night and it has hit our community pretty hard. She was a lovely and just wonderful person. It makes it even harder when so many kids are being effected by it too.
I have all that other stupid stuff with school regarding my son too and so it has made for a very tough last couple of days.

Wow, that is terrible about your secretary and about having to deal with the school. Hope things start going better there.

I think you are on to something with the mind altering Peruvian coffee! lol

Quote:
This is what I use. http://www.vitacost.com/country-life-vitamin-d3-5000-iu-200-softgels-8 They are tiny little capsules, and the nice thing about D, is that if you miss a couple days, you can take a few to make up for it. Well, I made that up, but when I was prescribed D, it was taken in a huge dose once a week, so I figure it doesn't have to be taken daily to work. I do try to take it every day, but if I forget, I'll take up to 3-4 at a time.

The other big one for me is taking a good B complex. This is what I take. They are a bit spendy, but I notice a definite difference between this and what I can get in a store. http://www.vitacost.com/irwin-naturals-mega-b-complex-60-liquid-softgels

ok, well,.....i did a little online research and I guess my daughter is right about no snowsuit with the carseat. apparently you have to pile on the blankets after baby is buckled in.
geesh.

Yep, true. The way to know if what they are wearing is too fluffy.... Buckle them into the car seat without the coat/snowsuit, or whatever. Put the suit on, then try buckling them in. If you can't get them in without loosening the strap, it's too big. (Coats and Snowsuits can compress in an accident, causing infants to eject out of the seat.) I would always dress my girls warm clothes, (fleece onsie, or whatever) then tuck a blanket around them, then cover that with a warmer blanket. These are also nice for super cold days.

The nice thing about layering, is that you can take off layers when going into a store or whatever, so they don't get too warm. It's easier than taking off a snowsuit. :) The smaller they are, the more important this is. Once my girls were big enough that they wouldn't keep a blanket wrapped around them, I switched to coats. We are in MN after all. ;)

Hey all, I'm from mn too! I'm the one who had the lemon cuckoo roosters. I laughed after reading some of the posts on here. You guys are such a fun group, excited to find you on here (thanks Ivie! And no, I want trying to get rid of you lol, they were both roos... One is gone and one left now).

Now for the shpeel... I'm sending out a help plea. If you guys know of anyone that needs a purebred roo, I'm selling a bunch of mine. Apparently I have amazing luck at hatching out roos. I don't want them to have to go to butcher, they are too nice. So, if you could spread the word, that would be awesome! I live in Farmington. Thanks for sharing it, here's the craigslist link:http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/grd/5287456028.html

On another note not necessarily chicken related, I'm a master gardener for mn so if you all have any questions on gardening, plants, etc just lmk and I can get answers if I don't know them!!
smile.png
we've actually been getting a lot of chicken questions lately too! Plants that can hurt or benefit chickens, if people rent chickens out to eat bugs in yards (yes, they do! Too funny, I just learned that this year!), and how fertilizers effect chickens.

Thank you all and I'm still a fairly newbie with chickens. This is my first full year. I was very specific in ordering purebred orpington eggs from English flocks with good lines like hinckj (ok, that's likely spelled different), to start my flock after having some bad experiences with mail order/large hatchery chicks. I hatched them out in a brinsea and it was fantastic. Now I'm working at just breeding for resistance, durability, and dual purpose with better egg production. I'd like to eventually breed in some really unusual orpington colors... I'm not sure what colors are left to be created... but I think I'm going to try to find them! I know that will be going away from color standards so I'm a little nervous of it too, for being able to sell mixed color orpingtons... and not "pure" colored ones. Ok, this post is super long, sorry!

Hi! I am looking at raising mostly rare colored Orpingtons myself. :) I just got some Chocolate Cuckoo Orps last week. Of course, 3 of the 6 died. So sad. I love lemon cuckoos. I want to get some next year. Don't need a roo now though, as I have no hens to go with him. ;)

All right guys, here's a fun little game for us! Tell everyone your turkey name!! I'll start.... Mine's TROTS GRAVY-TRAIN
gig.gif

Hmm... Captain Featherbrain Yep, that sounds about right. lol

Quote: I've had mine up and plugged in for a couple weeks, it has kicked on twice now (this morning is one of those). I think it is time to get yours set up and out there, (you don't have to plug it in yet if you don't want) but why put off doing stuff till it is freezing, when you can do it this weekend when it is nice?
wink.png

I also had to chase my dog out of the run 2 times this week when I brought out treats he wanted, he's never done that before! argghhhh
somad.gif

Our furnace quit working the other day. The furnace guy is here, and has it fixed. Yay! So thankful that it happened now, and not in a month or two. Yikes! We had one space heater going and that was enough to keep us in the mid to upper 60's, even upstairs. Next step is to get a little wood stove as back up. I don't like relying on gas and power to keep us warm in the winter. (I will gladly use it, just don't like relying on it. LOL)

[COLOR=006400]Greenbeaner Cornucopia.  Well that's a jip.  I want a funny one....![/COLOR]

"Duh Duh Duh Duh.....Farmers.com"....sing it!
Good luck Holm.

This morning I had a skin of ice on the waterers.  But with the mild temps coming this weekend I'm still not taking out the cookie tin heater.  Also you'd be proud of me.  I have the waterer out of the coop and in the run.  I will have to get an extension cord though and set up the warmer in a safe way in the run.  There's alot of straw and hay flying around in that run though.  It makes me just a bit nervous.  But I like getting that moisture out of the coop.  IDK...will give it a try.

Birds also got cooked Squash skins and baked potato kitchen scraps.  They are so spoiled today.  I love it.  Sadie then begged to go outside and as suspected I found her in the run...bullying herself into eating the squash and tater skins.  Ugh.  That dog.

There's blue sky peeking out there.  Oooo Vitamin D time at Noon today!

Sounds like my hound, Dixie. I caught her dragging off a pumpkin while the chickens chased from a distance. She can be such a poop! I love her to bits though :) my Facebook memories page reminded me that today is the 3rd anniversary of when we first met her at the shelter and decided to adopt her (had to wait for her spay to bring her home)

Welcome aboard athalia 17. The Orpingtons look very nice even though not my cup of tea. I am retired from one career but have the title of Nursery Manager for my wife's company. She has a landscape construction company which is primarily involved with Hardscape projects. They do some plant work, and we do maintain a small nursery for that as well as my own interest. I have considered the Master Gardener program but it seems that the required hours for public benefit activity would not work with my other commitments.
There is much information shared here, and some of it is actually beneficial. Duluth Ralphie has some low cost seminars which are a means to educate and enhance his pocketbook as well. If you can fit any of those in to your schedule it is bound to be an experience you won't soon forget?

Holm, good luck in your attempt to harvest Bambi's father. Remember deep breathing may be a cure for those shakes?

I've had mine up and plugged in for a couple weeks, it has kicked on twice now (this morning is one of those). I think it is time to get yours set up and out there, (you don't have to plug it in yet if you don't want) but why put off doing stuff till it is freezing, when you can do it this weekend when it is nice?
wink.png

I also had to chase my dog out of the run 2 times this week when I brought out treats he wanted, he's never done that before! argghhhh
somad.gif

Oh gosh Cluckies...I so know it would be good to be prepared. But as a life long procrastinator I seem to enjoy making my life harder on my self. LOL
gig.gif
roll.png
Time to get on it! I still need to finish my Foiled Bubble wrap experiment for the inside of the coop and get the flat panel mounted beack up in the coop. I noticed the shavings need to come out too. It's time for coop maintenance day.

My basement also needs to be "handled". It seems it's suffering from "here a pile, there a pile." Organization makes me feels so good. Why don't I do it?!

Back
Top Bottom