Minnesota!

Remember a while back I told you guys my coworker was leaving? Well we hired a replacement. He started Monday and I have been CRAZY busy trying to train him and still get my work done.

Nothing interesting on the chicken front to share except that they are as sick of the crappy weather as I am.

I had a dentist appointment today which tells me that most of my girls are 6 months old now. I picked them up from the feed store after my last appointment. Sigh... They grow up so fast! Lol

Do you worm as a precaution or just when you see the worms?
Since I've had the chickens on this land for 9 years, I try to worm once a year at least. I didn't need to worm at all the first 5 or 6 years. It usually takes a while on "new" land, meaning land that hasn't had chickens or other animals kept on it, for a worm overload to happen. If you totally free range, you are less likely to have worming issues. If your flock spends time in a run, where poop builds up over time, you are more likely to have a worm problem.

I've found an ill chicken can get overrun with worms faster than a healthy one.

Definitely worm when you see worms. Otherwise, if your hens are a good weight (you should be handling them frequently enough that you recognize weight issues), you are probably ok. They can look great, but when you pick them up you can find there is a lot of feathers and not so much flesh.

So, it depends on how old your flock is, how long chickens or goats or whatever have been on the land, and your chicken's general health.

If you butcher your own chickens, or can bring yourself to do a necropsy when one dies, it is a great opportunity to expore the digestive track and to look for all kinds of indicators of your flock's health. (Some worms can't be seen with a naked eye).

I decided to risk it and moved my chicks out to the barn a couple days ago. I have a Premier heating plate, and when I "tuck them in" tonight, I am going to add a heating pad, just to add more warmth for the drop in temp expected tonight. I'm think they will be ok though, because the last two days they have just huddle together at night, away from the heating plate, and are quite warm. Guessing with the temp difference, the heating plate should be enough to keep them warm. They are about 3 weeks old. :)

It amazes me that despite the lousy weather they still want to be outside. I suppose they get cabin fever just like we go. Having the chance to forage every last minute before snow flies!

It's too cold I wouldn't let them.

Oops see post below
roll.png

Last edited:
Be careful tonight. This is what happened last year when mine got frost bit. It was November, raining and warm, then the temps dropped below freezing quickly. There was a draft and they got frostbit combs, 2 of my girls, my BO and my Golden Comet. So if you have big combs on your birds and your coop is damp due to the rain, then I would considered putting bag balm on their combs tonight. as a precaution.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom