Minnesota!

she was attacked by a dog more than 3 weeks ago and has about 6 wounds, and lost a zillion feathers. so she has a ton of those pin feathers, and some scabby stuff....you know how hens pick at anything on the feathers that isn't normal.

Still pregnant! They look huge! I am doing 'udder checks' daily to look for any filling of the bags.
tongue.png
so silly me. I am so impatient. No action yet though so should still be a bit from my ignorant self knowledge on the matter. Would love to have someone who knows a thing or two come here and give me some real deal knowledge!

You won't have to feel the udders to see if they have milk coming on. They get filled and also have a lot of edema that you won't miss when they start coming into being ready to freshen. We call that a "springing heifer". And when that does start happening, you best be very careful trying to touch said udder. When were they bred, or don't you know? I can't remember if you bought them bred.

The other thing you can try with indoor plants for bugs is a spray bottle with soapy water just using dish detergent. The bugs sometimes just come out of the soil too, it is gross to me to find that happening. If a house plant gets buggy and it is warm enough, I just stick them outside for a few days.

You won't have to feel the udders to see if they have milk coming on. They get filled and also have a lot of edema that you won't miss when they start coming into being ready to freshen. We call that a "springing heifer". And when that does start happening, you best be very careful trying to touch said udder. When were they bred, or don't you know? I can't remember if you bought them bred.

The other thing you can try with indoor plants for bugs is a spray bottle with soapy water just using dish detergent. The bugs sometimes just come out of the soil too, it is gross to me to find that happening. If a house plant gets buggy and it is warm enough, I just stick them outside for a few days.
I am only looking not touching or pulling them!! But thanks for the heads up! They were bred when we got them. Highlands came to us in July with about a Feb estimated delivery. We got the Herefords in August with Dec. as an estimated delivery. No vet checks for more specific dates though. For the Herefords this will be only their second calf so I am a little more nervous. The Highlands are old pros at it. We (me, DH and BILs) are completely new to cattle. Just reading as we go.

Howdy folks!
How is everyone - been busy with work and trying to get something accomplished on the weekends.  How is the winter treating everyone?  I know I've missed oodles of posts and I can't lie - not even trying to read a bajillion pages. 

Hope everyone is doing great!  

Truly enjoying this mild weather up here in east central MN.  

Well my Craigslist 8 are down to 3.  Hard lesson learned but **** round worms are going to kill them all I reckon.  I've kept them mostly separated from the keets we hatched and the McMurray hatchery chicks and Lena so I think everyone else is okay.  Since getting the necropsy results Gina Hercules and the no-name Silkie I did do Wazine treatment in the water.   Lost my Gracie over the weekend -- she was my last LO. They went to the brain - she was paralyzed Saturday afternoon and died Sunday.

So I expect the roo and the two hens that are left to keel over before they are a year old.  :/

Learned my lesson - no more chick purchases from Craigslist.  :he  

If I don't check back before Friday here's hoping everyone has a wonderful Christmas!  I'm wishing for more chickens come spring.  I got the large eye roll just a few minutes ago when I said I was gonna order chickens......  :/
Sorry to hear this.. I'm sure your next batch will be much healthier...

Morning, everyone!

the wind woke me up at 3:30, or maybe it was the Christmas excitement. I think my DD and SIL and Olivia, the baby, are still planning on heading this way today. Hoping the boss lets us all knock off early today, but we will see.

KlopKlop, your dogs are saints!

Morning, everyone!

the wind woke me up at 3:30, or maybe it was the Christmas excitement. I think my DD and SIL and Olivia, the baby, are still planning on heading this way today. Hoping the boss lets us all knock off early today, but we will see.

KlopKlop, your dogs are saints!
They will do pretty much anything for a treat :)
Merry Christmas Eve everyone!!!

Merry x-mas eve all.. Hope everyone has a blessed and happy couple days with friends and family... On a chicken note,,,since the bully SLW was eaten by hawk and I culled the sick BO I have noticed my 6 remaining girls look healthier, fatter, happier and more friendly.. Funny how thing work out.. They are all getting so pretty and fluffy...

Last edited:
SO i have my prototype fodder system set up finally! I had all these fancy ideas in my head and I was starting to measure wood today and realized i was way way overthinking it! at least for my first attempt!

Basically what I've got is 6 little plastic tubs and a coffee can now :) i drilled a series of holes into the bottom of 5 tubs and then matching holes into the lids. The 6th tub acts as a catchment tank at the bottom. So what happens is I stack the tubs up like in the photo (eventually each layer will be filled with sprouting seeds) and 2-3 times a day I will dump water on the top tub and it will flow from tub to tub in a zig zag with the excess staying in the bottom catchment tank to be recycled or dumped onto my other houseplants. The coffee can is used to soak the batch of seeds for the first day, then I will dump them into the first tub and start more seeds soaking. the next day, repeat again so i will have 2 tubs of sprouts growing and 1 can soaking. Continue this for 6 days and the top tub will be 5-6 day old sprouts ready for the chickens! i keep the process up and each day i will have sprouts for my chickens!

I will take more photos as it progresses! Originally i had this plan to build a rack in my basement that the trays would slide in and out of and it would be cool, but then i had 2 thoughts:
1) what if this doesnt work or my chickens dont like it and i am out that much effort
2) my basement is a cool 52-ish degrees or so and that is a bit chilly for growing sprouts!

If this goes well i will look into improving the system. Currently I am into this experiment for about 6 x $0.89 for the tubs.

Back
Top Bottom