Minnesota!

I am only looking not touching or pulling them!! But thanks for the heads up! They were bred when we got them. Highlands came to us in July with about a Feb estimated delivery. We got the Herefords in August with Dec. as an estimated delivery. No vet checks for more specific dates though. For the Herefords this will be only their second calf so I am a little more nervous. The Highlands are old pros at it. We (me, DH and BILs) are completely new to cattle. Just reading as we go.
Since these are second calf cows, I wouldn't worry too much, it is those first timers you really have to watch and see. It is good to keep an eye on them, of course. You will see what I mean about their udders though, they will swell up and look like balloons ready to start popping. I know having kids myself, when that starts happening, I didn't even want anyone to LOOK at them much less touch them. They shouldn't be as apt to get upset with the touching then or when the calves try nursing. If I remember correctly, Herefords make really good mommas. I wouldn't mind having a Hereford or two here sometime, but doubt it will ever happen. My list of what I would like to do is just way longer than the years I am likely to have left in me. LOL Dreaming is always good though.

Merry x-mad eve all.. Hope everyone has a blessed and happy couple days with friends and family... On a chicken note,,,since the bully SLW was eaten by hawk and I culled the sick BO I have noticed my 6 remaining girls look healthier, fatter, happier and more friendly.. Funny how thing work out.. They are all getting so pretty and fluffy...
A bullying SLW hen? Color me not surprised. I am glad the rest are doing well. Funny how when those stressors are removed how much better everyone else does.

You have an excellent holiday! I can't wait to hear about all your goings on after though, you can't leave us all in suspense!

SO i have my prototype fodder system set up finally! I had all these fancy ideas in my head and I was starting to measure wood today and realized i was way way overthinking it! at least for my first attempt!

Basically what I've got is 6 little plastic tubs and a coffee can now :) i drilled a series of holes into the bottom of 5 tubs and then matching holes into the lids. The 6th tub acts as a catchment tank at the bottom. So what happens is I stack the tubs up like in the photo (eventually each layer will be filled with sprouting seeds) and 2-3 times a day I will dump water on the top tub and it will flow from tub to tub in a zig zag with the excess staying in the bottom catchment tank to be recycled or dumped onto my other houseplants. The coffee can is used to soak the batch of seeds for the first day, then I will dump them into the first tub and start more seeds soaking. the next day, repeat again so i will have 2 tubs of sprouts growing and 1 can soaking. Continue this for 6 days and the top tub will be 5-6 day old sprouts ready for the chickens! i keep the process up and each day i will have sprouts for my chickens!

I will take more photos as it progresses! Originally i had this plan to build a rack in my basement that the trays would slide in and out of and it would be cool, but then i had 2 thoughts:
1) what if this doesnt work or my chickens dont like it and i am out that much effort
2) my basement is a cool 52-ish degrees or so and that is a bit chilly for growing sprouts!

If this goes well i will look into improving the system. Currently I am into this experiment for about 6 x $0.89 for the tubs.
That is a pretty excellent idea! And zig-zagging them like you described is smart thinking. It beats having to open every tub too just to put water in. I like it.

SO i have my prototype fodder system set up finally! I had all these fancy ideas in my head and I was starting to measure wood today and realized i was way way overthinking it! at least for my first attempt! Basically what I've got is 6 little plastic tubs and a coffee can now :) i drilled a series of holes into the bottom of 5 tubs and then matching holes into the lids. The 6th tub acts as a catchment tank at the bottom. So what happens is I stack the tubs up like in the photo (eventually each layer will be filled with sprouting seeds) and 2-3 times a day I will dump water on the top tub and it will flow from tub to tub in a zig zag with the excess staying in the bottom catchment tank to be recycled or dumped onto my other houseplants. The coffee can is used to soak the batch of seeds for the first day, then I will dump them into the first tub and start more seeds soaking. the next day, repeat again so i will have 2 tubs of sprouts growing and 1 can soaking. Continue this for 6 days and the top tub will be 5-6 day old sprouts ready for the chickens! i keep the process up and each day i will have sprouts for my chickens! I will take more photos as it progresses! Originally i had this plan to build a rack in my basement that the trays would slide in and out of and it would be cool, but then i had 2 thoughts: 1) what if this doesnt work or my chickens dont like it and i am out that much effort 2) my basement is a cool 52-ish degrees or so and that is a bit chilly for growing sprouts! If this goes well i will look into improving the system. Currently I am into this experiment for about 6 x $0.89 for the tubs.
Neat idea.. Good luck..

Everyone, I wish for you a blessed Christmas.

And if you happened to spot stupid dog tell her to go home :)

I pray for your dog to go home where she will be warm safe and loved
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom