Minnesota!

Oh man. I just got done trying to clean out my california whites foot. I had to leave the bathroom (with the chicken) and go sit in a cold room and finish the procedure. She is such a good calm girl. That helps huge! The vet told me that I can just keep picking the scab off and soaking her foot. Well I tried picking the scab off, and that wasn't all that came out, so I took a deep breath, kept cleaning, another deep breath, more stuff coming out and blood- almost passing out (me, not the chicken), another deep breath, betadine, antiobiotic ointment, gauze, wrap, and then we both took a deep breath and went and she got some yummy treats (the equivalent of a sucker or a sticker at the dr). Wow, I'm glad I didn't go into vet school. I need to go through this a few more times so I'm not so soft (but I pray I don't have to!!). Poor chicken!

At what temperature will everyone keep their chickens in the coop during the day? Sunday is supposed to get really cold. Right now I only have a 60 watt light in the coop- and it's mainly on for extra light because it's so dark where the coop is. Should I switch to a warmer bulb at night? I am combating moisture. I go in the coop in the morning and the windows are damp. My husband built and insulated it a little too well. I'm just glad he built it!! There is an overhead fan that sucks air out, but then it gets quite cold if it's on, but less moisture. It's a conundrum.

I have a Brinsea eco20 or something like that with the rocking base, so I will likely get that out in March. Never had hens go broody yet- but they are all so used to me stealing the eggs that they pretty much just give up. What happens if your boxes are off the ground by about a foot or so, they hatch the babies... then how do the babies get out? Do they just fall out? :/

@athalia17 Your birds are lovely! thank you for sharing your photos!

Sounds like quite the ordeal with the bumble foot! I guess there maybe a hard piece of yellow "cheesy" stuff in there they call it an acorn? that needs to come out, is that what came out of your girls foot?

surgery for bumble foot this looks like a good thread...

Oh man. I just got done trying to clean out my california whites foot. I had to leave the bathroom (with the chicken) and go sit in a cold room and finish the procedure. She is such a good calm girl. That helps huge! The vet told me that I can just keep picking the scab off and soaking her foot. Well I tried picking the scab off, and that wasn't all that came out, so I took a deep breath, kept cleaning, another deep breath, more stuff coming out and blood- almost passing out (me, not the chicken), another deep breath, betadine, antiobiotic ointment, gauze, wrap, and then we both took a deep breath and went and she got some yummy treats (the equivalent of a sucker or a sticker at the dr). Wow, I'm glad I didn't go into vet school. I need to go through this a few more times so I'm not so soft (but I pray I don't have to!!). Poor chicken! 

At what temperature will everyone keep their chickens in the coop during the day? Sunday is supposed to get really cold. Right now I only have a 60 watt light in the coop- and it's mainly on for extra light because it's so dark where the coop is. Should I switch to a warmer bulb at night? I am combating moisture. I go in the coop in the morning and the windows are damp. My husband built and insulated it a little too well. I'm just glad he built it!! There is an overhead fan that sucks air out, but then it gets quite cold if it's on, but less moisture. It's a conundrum. 

I have a Brinsea eco20 or something like that with the rocking base, so I will likely get that out in March. Never had hens go broody yet- but they are all so used to me stealing the eggs that they pretty much just give up. What happens if your boxes are off the ground by about a foot or so, they hatch the babies... then how do the babies get out? Do they just fall out? :/

Yeah the funk in there is pretty strong when the cheese starts coming out!

Quote:
sickbyc.gif
lol

Our pigs will be raised on pasture and fed a corn/soy based ration (milled and mixed by me) supplemented with vegetables, eggs, and milk if I can get some
No processed food like that

Have you checked over the feet of your hen? Maybe the start of a bumble foot? That is why had my leghorn layer up for so long until i realized it
DH has talked about doing pastured pigs. You gotta have at least 2. I don't know though, we will see how this next Spring goes. I would so long as they were in the freezer by Fall.

@minniechickmama, you are a wealth of knowledge. I just want to pick your brain on this!!! Fantastic info, thank you!! That break down helped HUGE on phenotype! Amazing. I read it lots of times in other places, but it was way too complicated... thank you for simplifying! I actually understand now! Ok, I'm going to weigh the roo today. It could be that I'm losing all my muscles with the winter fluff and I need to lift weights, lol. Maybe I could just do some arm lifts with him, haha. I will take some pics of my hens too. Thank you thank you!!!!

@lalaland I read once that sometimes hens can recover from mareks if you stick it out. If this is what she has and she is able to recover, she will be resistant then... but also a carrier if you introduce new birds. A UMN poultry guy told me that mareks is in 90% of all flocks now. This is why I want to work at breeding virus resistant birds.

@klopklop I have a leghorn with the same issue. Have you tried soaking in that stuff for aquariums? I was thinking about that. I gave up and brought her to the vet. Ugh. She is the mascot for my CSA (farm), and all the little kids that come here love her. She is such a nut. They will sit on a bench and she will fly up right next to them and let them pet her. Ok, she isn't completely a white leghorn... She is a California white. I've heard that is a crossing of gray and white. All I know is that my actually white leghorn is completely opposite... a total nervous nelly.
No Problem.
White eggers are normally nut jobs. Once in a while you can find a Leghorn someone tamed from a chick, but you can pretty much bet that about99% are whackos. The Cal Whites and Grays, I am pretty certain are just two colors of the same thing? They are a hybrid, regardless, just like Pearl White Leghorns are not quite pure Leghorns, but a hybridized strain that are super layers.

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Minnesota_State_Poultry_Association.html

Here they have a few biggish ones listed.

I should ask Minnie if people can show in counties they dont live in. I think it would have to be open class.
Open class shows other than State Fair are not APA sanctioned. All that means as they are not added into the APA scoring system. Also, not all the county shows are judged by certified judges. So, you may get good feedback on your birds or you may not. You can enter in open class as much as you want, it is only 4-H that is restricted to showing in only one county show. Not all counties have open class poultry show either, I know ours does not. Olmsted does though, but their show when I was there 3 years ago was very, very small.

@athalia17 , your Jubilee Orpingtons are beautiful. Did you hatch them yourself? I'm tempted to get some eggs off of ebay for different breeds I haven't seen around these parts much. Makes me nervous because you hear so much negative talk about ebay eggs, but if I could find someone reputable and honest, I don't think I'd be so hesitant. We'll see....

I lost a hen to a respiratory illness within 24 hours of showing symptoms last night. I should be getting some Tylan today in case I see any symptoms in other birds. I also got some VetRx which I might just apply to the entire flock anyways. I also put some vitamins and electrolytes in their water and will continue doing that for a few weeks. My question is, what does everyone do when respiratory illness pops into your flock? Is it more common in MN?
The more rare colored or breed you get, the better your chances are that they are not going to be quite what they should be, especially recently imported breeds or varieties. Jubilee is not even recognized and extremely rare here, a recent import variety from England. You have to watch the Orpingtons these days even at shows because the English lines are not the same as we have or have in the SOP for standard descriptions. Over the last few years, New Hampshires also have had imports from Germany brought in and they have a different look to them than the American lines. I have some of each here and you can definitely see some glaring differences in the type from over the pond.

As for your respiratory problem, and if you have more than one with it, it is a problem. We have had the 'perfect storm' of weather to sweep respiratory crud through a flock. I recommend the Tylan for 5 days if you have a few who are looking and sounding like they have something. I lost 30 birds in a weed one time from not acting quick enough. Trust me, it is not an experience I would recommend taking chances with. I was near tears hauling out dead birds.

My coop is about 10 degrees warmer than outside. Take a look at my profile and you can see my big breeder building. I have lights that come on with a time, no heat lamps. Those 4'X5' windows are not covered, only wire. I know have the runs closed on the ends and plastic over the gates, but it is still pretty open, just covered to keep the wind from blowing in with snow and rain. Big combs may suffer some frostbite if they get wet, but dry is the key to keeping it away. If you have bowls or pans that wattles will dip in, they may still end up with frostbite in the coldest weather. Dry Dry Dry is key to keeping healthy birds. They are insulated and make their own heat, so don't fuss too much with them. I have had hens molt in weather like what we are getting this weekend and made it through without sweaters and mittens and a heater over them.

How did you lose Ole!!

@scandiafowl

I don't know what happened to Ole. :( I messaged @duluthralphie to let him know - it broke my heart! Ole was such a good roo!! He presented with sneezing and it kept up for a couple days - I researched and put him on meds - kept him and Lena separated from everyone else so as to not chance anyone picking on him or stressing him. After a few days he was back to rip roaring self - ready to fight dogs and anything else that dared to cross him or Lena. Finished the course of antibiotics.

Went out one morning to let them out and he was gone - literally looked like he died on perch and fell off. Head was still tucked like he was still asleep. Lena was standing on floor of their coop just cooing and looking at him like she was trying to talk to him to wake up. Dang near killed me.

Lena hasn't been same since. She's mingled with the chicks I got in August from McMurray but she really doesn't pal with anyone. The 3 roos in the pens with all those hens have taken turns courting her. One is some sort of EE mix with only God knows what (one of the two that came home with the neighbors borrowed incubator for those keet eggs) -- Anyway he is the biggest of the 3. I was hoping she'd accept him but she prefers being single I guess. She still hasn't laid an egg either. She stopped laying 2 weeks before his passing.

Ole spoiled her!!! I gave them some mealies one day - during summer -- Ole went right for them but she wasn't convinced. I sat and watched him eat a couple then he picked up a worm and held it hanging out his beak, walked over to Lena and made some sort of cooing sound and she took it from him.

He was such a beautiful boy. Still hurts my heart.
hit.gif

As for your respiratory problem, and if you have more than one with it, it is a problem. We have had the 'perfect storm' of weather to sweep respiratory crud through a flock. I recommend the Tylan for 5 days if you have a few who are looking and sounding like they have something. I lost 30 birds in a weed one time from not acting quick enough. Trust me, it is not an experience I would recommend taking chances with. I was near tears hauling out dead birds.

No watery eyes, "runny noses", or breathing issues in anyone else....yet *fingers crossed* I'm going to do another run through when I get home from work. I'm also going to gut the coop tomorrow. I'm less than impressed with the alfalfa hay bales I bought. They always feel damp even when dry. I think I'll just toss pine shavings down the rest of the winter. Anyways, What dosage do you recommend on the Tylan? I've read anywhere from .25cc - 1cc. Going somewhere inbetween, I was thinking .25cc for my marans that are going on 3 months old and .50cc for my 10 month old girls. My route will be injecting into the breast. Times like these I'm thankful I work in the medical field :) Do you recommend Tylan twice a day for any symptomatic birds? Some threads I've read up on say twice....some say once.

I'm mad at myself for not bringing her inside and doing something right away. I was a bit devastated. I'm ticked off because I should have brought her in and pushed some vitamins and kept her warm. She was acting fine aside from a few physical symptoms, so I decided to let it ride out. Not my greatest idea ever.

Last edited:
Minnesotanice, you are so lucky that you have a medical background - injections terrify me and I can't imagine doing it for the chickens. Which sucks because otherwise I might consider vacinating chicks against mareks...although I am undecided on that one.

Althelia, I agree with Minnie - you don't need any heat at all . If your coop is damp, do whatever you can with the moisture (keep waterers outside if you can, remove wet droppings) but mostly keep increasing the ventilation. I have 4 windows open year round in the coop and everyone does fine. My favorite piece of advice with chickens and winter is to put your fingers under their feathers whenever you are worrying about the cold - its amazing how warm and cozy they are under the feathers.

I raced around doing last minute chores to beat the cold weather - filled bird feeders, stocked up the feed for the quail, got that electric cord from town and reran the waterer for the bo (she is still the same, no change), shoveled the heavy wet snow, etc.

Tomorrow I'm heading for the cities to make lefse with some friends. I love lefse! not the store bought kind that tastes like thin cardboard, but the good stuff. yum!!

Back
Top Bottom