Minnesota!

I'm so glad you are feeling better!
wee.gif

Large wire dog crate
Dish pan (for soaking chickens in water / epson salt)
epson salt
scissors
knife
paper towels
towels
Blu-kote
Calcitrate calcium tablets
electrolytes
probiotics
Dulcolax liquid Gels (stimulant free) - used to help treat impacted crop
Self heating pad
regular heating pad
poultry protector
Vet RX
Safe-guard
Corid
Molly's Herbal dewormer
Vetericyn VF

Sweet potato - they love sweet potato and will eat it when they won't eat most other things. I'll mix medicine in with it if needed. as they get better, I wet their crumble and mix in in there.
flashlight/headlamp
Live meal worms
Syringes (many sizes) without needle
tubing (in case you need to tube feed)
Bulb syringe (think baby)
Vinyl gloves
bag balm
Pinless peepers
Personal lubricant
hemroid cream
Garden and poultry dust (Permethren)
Bacitracin
Pine shavings
small feeder and waterer for large wire dog crate "hospital"
small dog carrier inside the hospital for a nesting box, sleeping box

And lest you think i'm pulling your leg...

Cluckies!! This list is fantastic!!

And am almost afraid to ask ... What is the personal lubricant for?
In case you get an egg bound hen: Egg Binding see under the heading Treatment

Quote: Thank you!
big_smile.png
I come by it the hard way though
hmm.png
... My first year with chickens was a hard one (sour crop, impacted crop, just feeling off, and a girl who couldn't get her reproductive organs to work properly), seemed I had a ailing chicken every time I turned around. Many times a relaxing warm epson salt bath really helped just by itself if they were feeling off. Perked them up and they went about their merry way. I am thankful everyday that they are all healthy and doing well now! lol

Is there a difference between poultry dust and Sevin dust? I want to dust my chickens to prevent mites (less natural dusting opportunities in the winter here) but don't cant find poultry dust around here.
yes, there is a big difference.
you can almost always find the poultry dust in the feed stores. Or in the garden section of big box stores. Or on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Chemtech-BC698321-Prozap-Garden-Poultry/dp/B001BM4JLM

the poultry dust is a synthetic form of a flower - I have used it for years and it works great.

When there isn't any evidence of an infestation, I use wood ash (from the wood stove). Works great, you can add it to the dusting areas and the chickens will also sometimes eat a bit of the charcoal. You should be careful to use only ashes from good, clean wood - meaning no treated wood, no painted wood, none of those fake logs, etc.

This time of year everyone is burning their brush piles around here, makes a great place to pick up a bucket of ash if the farmer doesn't mind, since the ash adds to the soil.

Last edited:
It is actually incorrect humidity that will cause toe curling.  If it is just the toes though, you can fix that if you catch it right away.

There are other issues of locking down early though, if you increase the humidity too early is one, but you also increase the possibility that the chick will be in the wrong position to hatch and pip out the air cell.  Often when they pip out improperly, they die before they can get out of the shell because this gooey membrane dries around their beak.

It is kind of funny how hens can do it all so easily, or seemingly so, but when we do artificial incubating, we can mess it up seven ways 'til sunday.  

I think I said they can end up with odd toes from heat issues- not humidity, which was stated on brinsea's hatching that I read. I'm sure it could be wrong though. I had a chick born with a toe or two curling out. It could have been genetic, but none of her hatch mates had it. No one developed it either from diet. https://www.brinsea.com/Brochures/BrinseaHandbook.pdf

I absolutely love my brinsea. It was a bit of an investment, but it took the guesswork out for me. Although I need to calibrate it. I would love to get the auto humidifier for it too. I did get a good deal on the incubator at the time. The only negative is that it is a little bit of a pain to clean out. Another negative (also a positive) is that the top is clear so you can see them hatch out. Then they stare at you like, help me!! They peep and look so desperate and you just want to take them out, but you are supposed to wait. They need to fluff up, and the rustling around and peeping I read... encourages more to work at hatching. Poor little guys!! :(

Another positive, sold 3 ameraucana roos today for $5! Better than culling! I'm hoping to sell 3 more birds tomorrow!

Last edited:
Oh, the guy that came out and got the roos said he just started this last year with chickens. He told me he ended up losing 30 birds. Said they stopped eating and died. Awful. I then tried telling him abut mareks, worms, coccidiosis, etc. Is it just me, or does anyone else hate having people over who have chickens? Especially ones that have been sick. I try to keep a closed flock, and I imagine oocytes and diseases riding on people's shoes... ever since avian flu stuff. Does anyone take precautionary measures for people visiting your birds that have birds?

Last edited:
Oh, the guy that came out and got the roos said he just started this last year with chickens. He told me he ended up losing 30 birds. Said they stopped eating and died. Awful. I then tried telling him abut mareks, worms, coccidiosis, etc. Is it just me, or does anyone else hate having people over who have chickens? Especially ones that have been sick. I try to keep a closed flock, and I imagine oocytes and diseases riding on people's shoes... ever since avian flu stuff. Does anyone take precautionary measures for people visiting your birds that have birds?

I have the best biosecurity now that I have mareks in the flocks because no one with chickens comes anywhere near! Before that, though, on the rare occasion that someone was over who had chickens, I just kept them away from the flock run/etc. No one was upset by that, all were very understanding.

That guy would scare the pants off me - hopefully he wasn't anywhere near your flock, and hopefully nothing gets tracked back to them.

I do notice, though, that if I am somewhere that has chickens - say I stop at a garage sale and see that they have a coop with chickens, that they will offer to let me go look. I don't, now because of the mareks...

Back
Top Bottom