Minnesota!

I have had lice here and there and haven't had much difficulty it treating and getting rid of them. But this is just a mess. I am still thinking I could have possibly gotten them from the straw. My bachelors have been in the hoop away from all the other flock and no sparrows in with them, and they are covered!
The other thing that has me totally boggled, is that I have some who are covered in the breeding pens, and other birds in the same pen show nothing at all. HOW??? One NH rooster has them bad, has been breeding the hens, but they hens have no a one on them. I am just baffled. The Cochins are the worst, but the rooster in there hasn't a thing crawling on him, but the hens were loaded and the pullets had them starting up fast. Again, with breeding going on in the pen, you would think he would have them too, but nope. The weather didn't help me with getting things cleaned out more either.

I've wondered the same thing, why some and not all? Been told that a healthy hen/rooster can successfully withstand an infestation but I really really doubt that. Perhaps some are better at grooming and dust bathing. I don't have an answer.

I think it isn't just sparrows, I think that rabbits and squirrels and mice and voles and...all could carry some kind of parasite (mites? lice?) that could be shed.

Also, I think straw is considered a culprit because it can shelter them, but it doenst seem likely that it would carry them in to a coop or run, unless they were contaminated . Which to me means it would be unlikely that the straw was stored where there animal hosts for these critters. I'm thinking if you find the critters, you are best off cleaning out any straw because it could harbor them.

My wooden roosts get coated with motor oil (new, not used). The wood absorbs it, and after a couple of years I figure nothing is going into the wood, and then I only have to worry about the corners/seams .

Cold morning here: 22, but it is going to be sunny. Those quail want out....I would like to delay releasing them til the spring is really hear. What the heck would they eat at this time in the year in the wild?

I dont know what to do... My goose has started laying everyday now and I really want to leave her eggs. But I want to save a few for my broody Cochin. I only have 2 goose eggs saved so far and thats about all the Cochin can cover. I am just scared of what my gander is gonna do when prople walk into the coop. He gets protective when she is only laying. I guess holding him everyday might make him settle down. So I think I will leave her eggs from now on. Or keep saving her eggs and leve duck eggs in the nest so knowone breaks the goose eggs... The dumbies get curios when they see her large eggs and roll them around. Why I do not know.

Minnie I found a bad infestation on my birds awhile back and cleaned it up with ash. I am going to put 5 gallon pale of wood ash where everyone dust bathes to try and provent gettimg those buggers again. I wonder if the birds that dust bathe more dont have them as bad? My CX hen never dust bathed and she had them the worst of my birds.

And my dumb question . Can waterfowl get mites? I hope not. My Muscovy drake is not a lapper. Hes nice just doesnt like to be held or picked up and I really dont want to dust them.

According to a duck site I just checked, yes, they can get them but they stay around the head and neck. You will notice the ducks shaking their heads and rubbing on stuff though. I think if they are in the water enough, it shouldn't be much of a concern, and ducks have a lot more oil in their feathers, so maybe that helps them from getting mite and lice issues like chickens do?
@destiny_56085 , have you got anything on this?

Good morning all. just buzzing through and dropping off some chick pictures. Headed to Rochester this AM for some supplies. see you all later!

I swear that last one is a Welsummer pullet. Did you order those? I thought you were just getting the Rangers?
Good luck on your quest to Roch. I hope you can pick up some of the electrolytes and Probiotics for the birdies there. It is tough finding some of that stuff right now. Red heat bulbs are running short now too.

Speaking of light bulbs.... One of my NEW !(#**%^(#$ flood light bulbs just blew out AGAIN!!! I need to figure out some other ones that are cheaper to use. I got outdoor flood lights, and those dang things have been blowing out like crazy. I have never had a problem with other kinds I have used out there. I may just go incandescent if I can find any. This really p1$$e$ me off!! Those things are between $7-9 each depending on where I pick them up.

I've wondered the same thing, why some and not all? Been told that a healthy hen/rooster can successfully withstand an infestation but I really really doubt that. Perhaps some are better at grooming and dust bathing. I don't have an answer.

I think it isn't just sparrows, I think that rabbits and squirrels and mice and voles and...all could carry some kind of parasite (mites? lice?) that could be shed.

Also, I think straw is considered a culprit because it can shelter them, but it doenst seem likely that it would carry them in to a coop or run, unless they were contaminated . Which to me means it would be unlikely that the straw was stored where there animal hosts for these critters. I'm thinking if you find the critters, you are best off cleaning out any straw because it could harbor them.

My wooden roosts get coated with motor oil (new, not used). The wood absorbs it, and after a couple of years I figure nothing is going into the wood, and then I only have to worry about the corners/seams .

Cold morning here: 22, but it is going to be sunny. Those quail want out....I would like to delay releasing them til the spring is really hear. What the heck would they eat at this time in the year in the wild?

The quail by my place have been out for weeks in the field and foraging around. There must be something out there. If you live close enough to a wooded area, and there isn't snow covering everything, they should find something to eat. Then again, these ones are probably picking up soy that was left behind by the combine.

I've seen all sorts of poultry get lice/mites. I can remember a 4-H show 10+ years ago and a certain family's birds all had them. It was across the board from poultry to waterfowl.... I can just remember them crawling on everyone's arms that touched any of them and eventually they were taken out. It was just 2 years ago and a major pigeon show that several birds were taken out. Yuckkk! The mites feed mainly on the mucous around mouth, eyes, and vent and will eventually be all over the bird. With those you usually see the head shaking, scratching, and then that cradle cap like gunk along the skin. The lice eat the feathers mainly and you will see small rice shaped holes in the feathers and clusters of eggs along the feather bases.

I swear that last one is a Welsummer pullet.  Did you order those?  I thought you were just getting the Rangers?

Good luck on your quest to Roch.  I hope you can pick up some of the electrolytes and Probiotics for the birdies there.  It is tough finding some of that stuff right now.  Red heat bulbs are running short now too.

Speaking of light bulbs.... One of my NEW !(#**%^(#$ flood light bulbs just blew out AGAIN!!!  I need to figure out some other ones that are cheaper to use.  I got outdoor flood lights, and those dang things have been blowing out like crazy.  I have never had a problem with other kinds I have used out there.  I may just go incandescent if I can find any.  This really p1$$e$ me off!! Those things are between $7-9 each depending on where I pick them up.

Well they're supposed to be speckled Sussex. I was surprised that that's what the chick look like when I open the box

Well they're supposed to be speckled Sussex. I was surprised that that's what the chick look like when I open the box

Whoa! I will be curious to see what they end up being because it is the spitting image of a Welsummer. There are many with Partridge (chipmunk) striping, but that one is exactly what my Wellies look like, and that dark stripe over the eye with the distinct wedge of brown on the head means pullet.

Where did you get them?

Okay, I had to look. I guess they look very similar as chicks. Sorry if I alarmed you. LOL I didn't realize they would look so similar when they are so different as adults. I have never tried the SS, so I should have checked before I opened my big mouth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom