Minnesota!

thats aggravating.   

Seaquist, the little hen that looks like a seagull and has been sitting on three eggs, hatched one and yesterday I didn't see the eggs when she lifted up a bit.  I dug around, and she had scratched hay over them and was sitting on top of that.  She had pooped in the nest too, that might have been why she pulled hay over the eggs and poop.  I put the eggs back but they were barely warm, almost cool.  So I am expecting to toss them today/

Her lone chick came from one of the tiny eggs, so it is either half bantam, half icelandic, half seaquist, or half silkie.  I tried not to get any silkie eggs in nest, so....guess we will see.

here's an important question:  do you line the cattle panel hoop coop with hardware cloth on the inside or the outside?
My tractor is made of EMT not panels but either way I put my cloth on the outside

Well offer 2 treatments with sevin, which I do not like using at all, and 2 super duper coop cleanings (i ended up scrubbing roosts which I didn't think I'd ever do but heard stressing bad news so I took it out on the coop) I still have 2 bovan browns with lice eggs. Just 2. They have trimmed beaks (came that way) and I read the trimmed beaks impair grooming ability. I rarely see the bovans dust bathing. I think they are programmed to eat and make eggs. Period. Anyway, I have decided to add wood ash to their favorite dust bathing spot, dust all hens with DE one more time, dust the coop again and possibly repeat in 7 days. Since all the other hens look lice free and super healthy, I'm not going to worry about it. If the bovans continue to have lice egg issues toward end of summer they shall provide us with soup. It does kind of gross me out to eat a chicken that had lice but the all knowing Google says it's okay. Does this course of action seem reasonable?

It cost me over $300 to get our two girls done and then the momma cat took off a few weeks later. She came back once after 2 weeks, then again after 3 weeks and we haven't seen her since. At least I am not contributing to the expanding cat population. Some vets will do a farm cat special and charge just a minimal fee. I think my vet does a lot of the rescue type places in Rochester's 'fixing'.
I wouldn't mind the money so much if I could round them all up and that was the end of it but I have alot of drop-ins from the neighbors that seem to like our 'no dog' area better than their own homes and tend to end up staying. That's how I ended up with cats to begin with. I like having cats around to help with the mouse population but enough is enough. I have one especially that is going bye-bye. This winter she, along with a few others, found a way under the skirting around my trailer house. I DO NOT want cats pooping under my house. I got them all out and the hole plugged and she found a way under again. Plugged that spot, she did it again. And again. You see a pattern??? I think she just pushes against the skirting until she finds a spot that gives. The only reason she is not gone already is the stupid thing had kittens under there and I haven't been able to crawl around under there and find them yet.

Well offer 2 treatments with sevin, which I do not like using at all, and 2 super duper coop cleanings (i ended up scrubbing roosts which I didn't think I'd ever do but heard stressing bad news so I took it out on the coop) I still have 2 bovan browns with lice eggs. Just 2. They have trimmed beaks (came that way) and I read the trimmed beaks impair grooming ability. I rarely see the bovans dust bathing. I think they are programmed to eat and make eggs. Period. Anyway, I have decided to add wood ash to their favorite dust bathing spot, dust all hens with DE one more time, dust the coop again and possibly repeat in 7 days. Since all the other hens look lice free and super healthy, I'm not going to worry about it. If the bovans continue to have lice egg issues toward end of summer they shall provide us with soup. It does kind of gross me out to eat a chicken that had lice but the all knowing Google says it's okay. Does this course of action seem reasonable?
Sounds like you're doing the best you can..sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited:

My freshly tilled garden plot waiting to be planted!

Klop glad your cat is home! That would make me nuts!

With my Handsome Tony guarding his domain we never get drop ins or wanderers. He barely tolerates my parent's cat.

Last edited:
thats aggravating.

Seaquist, the little hen that looks like a seagull and has been sitting on three eggs, hatched one and yesterday I didn't see the eggs when she lifted up a bit. I dug around, and she had scratched hay over them and was sitting on top of that. She had pooped in the nest too, that might have been why she pulled hay over the eggs and poop. I put the eggs back but they were barely warm, almost cool. So I am expecting to toss them today/

Her lone chick came from one of the tiny eggs, so it is either half bantam, half icelandic, half seaquist, or half silkie. I tried not to get any silkie eggs in nest, so....guess we will see.

here's an important question: do you line the cattle panel hoop coop with hardware cloth on the inside or the outside?
Sounds to me like you need to come on down and get some brothers and sisters for that lone chicky. I have these fresh from the hatcher!
Large Fowl

Bantams

Lice are easier to get rid of the mites, so consider yourself lucky. I went 4 years before I got either, and I didn't see any mites until last year, and now I have to constantly check on all my birds and treat. Now that it has rained, I will have to wait for the wood ash to dry out or start a fire just to have some, but I am going to add them to the runs after they are cleaned again and put DE too. I found my spare White Silkie rooster was covered on his head and neck with them yesterday. GRRRR

This is Handsome Tony. We brought him back from Japan three years ago and he has embraced farm life.

He IS handsome!

Back
Top Bottom