Minnesota!

Wry neck is also VERY prevalent with breeds like my silkies and polish with the vaulted skulls. Those skull plates don't fully fuse and it leaves them with soft sots just like on a newborn baby. Its usually your best pullets affected or so it seems. All it take is a peck or hard blow to that area to cause neurological damage or even death. Nutritional deficiencies can also cause it and extreme changes in temp and/or barometer pressure as well. I see it a lot in young stock when the rough cockerels start trying to breed. They grab onto the crest area and end up hurting the pullets. All of them basically cause swelling on the brain. There's a really good article on hydrocephaly on Alan Stanford's website (BrownEggBlueEgg).

Does anyone have a red ranger hen laying eggs? Mine is so big I'm not sure what size her pullet eggs will be. She's nearly a year old and I think she just started laying but the eggs are normal size. I also have 3 BR hens but there combs have not brightened yet this spring and the Red rangers has been bright red for about a week. I got my first egg of the year yesterday and it had some blood streaks on it. My second egg was today. Both of them look like they were pecked once. The hen that did it didn't break through either of them so I'm wondering if maybe my big girl stepped on it on her way out and a talon/claw(
1f61c.png
) poked it?

Does anyone have a red ranger hen laying eggs? Mine is so big I'm not sure what size her pullet eggs will be. She's nearly a year old and I think she just started laying but the eggs are normal size. I also have 3 BR hens but there combs have not brightened yet this spring and the Red rangers has been bright red for about a week. I got my first egg of the year yesterday and it had some blood streaks on it. My second egg was today. Both of them look like they were pecked once. The hen that did it didn't break through either of them so I'm wondering if maybe my big girl stepped on it on her way out and a talon/claw(
1f61c.png
) poked it?

It could be that in their scratching around in the nest box that they crack them. It happens here once in a while. It isn't unusual to see some blood on the eggs at first, their vent needs to stretch and for some that means some irritation. My Welsummers and Buckeyes sometimes start out with some pretty good sized pullet eggs and if I didn't know better would think they are from full grown hens.

Hello this is Jason I just like to ask a couple of questions if I could
I have an 8 by 8 coop with an 8 by 27 foot run
How many chickens would I be able to have?
Do you guys feed and water in the coop or do you feed and water in the Run?
How close do chickens tend to roost together comm, half of mine sleep on the roost half on top of their Hutch

Hello this is Jason I just like to ask a couple of questions if I could
I have an 8 by 8 coop with an 8 by 27 foot run
How many chickens would I be able to have?
Do you guys feed and water in the coop or do you feed and water in the Run?
How close do chickens tend to roost together comm, half of mine sleep on the roost half on top of their Hutch

I kept around 12-15 birds in my old 8x8 breeder coop. I think around 10-12 maybe?

Back
Top Bottom