Minus 3F Degrees What's cookin' on my cast iron woodstove? Breakfast!

If I am cooking there is a good chance I'll be using it. LOL

I have done that before. I think that is what the bannister on the back porch is for - holding hot cast iron you left in the oven. LOL

Quote:
Oh yea, oops, done that too!
th.gif

That whole meal looks delicious! I am a firm believer that anything cooked in cast iron is better, and can only be improved upon by cooking over a fire! I have a griddle like that, a Mexican "comal", it's wonderful!

Has anyone evert tried "Piggy Pudding" a recipe from Paula Deen? It's is scrumptious! I'll post it if you'd like.

Meanwhile, Miss Prissy, please open the back door, it's cold out here!
big_smile.png

HI THERE! I agree about AGAS English Chick--I've had two in the past, one solid fuel (very dusty) and one gas. Both cooked and heated like a dream. I now have a woodburning stove in my living room but that is more difficult to cook on because of it's design. It came with the house when I bought it! I have used it for cooking, in a rather un-orthodox ways when we've had power outages (we have quite a few of these each year in my area). I've even wrapped up shoulders of lamb/chicken pieces, with herbs and tomatoes,garlic, thinly sliced potatoes, wrapped in layers offoil; then popped the whole package in the firebox with a metal baffle (an old baking tray) between the burning los & the lamb. It was perfect and we ate it by candlelight washed down with wine. Now I've made myself hungry!!!! If you are worried about children touching a woodstove buy or make a fender for it. In the UK you can get them easily, in various designs but they are pretty pricey---you,over in the US, seem to have very handy DH's so speak sweetly to them......!!!

I have seen the piggy pudding but I have never tried it.

One - I am not a fan of maple syrup. Cane syrup is my vice of choice.

Two - It just doesn't appeal to my tastebuds.

I do cook sausages, fried apples, and various breads and have those for hearty suppers just not all mixed together and baked as one dish.

Has anyone evert tried "Piggy Pudding" a recipe from Paula Deen? It's is scrumptious! I'll post it if you'd like.

Please post it!!
big_smile.png

This is better with cane syrup!

Piggy Pudding
Prep Time:
20 min
Cook Time:
40 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
4 to 5 servings
16 link pork sausages
4 to 5 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 (7 1/2-ounce) package yellow cornbread mix, batter prepared according to package directions
1 cup maple syrup, for serving
Fresh sage, for garnish
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Cook sausages in a skillet until done, piercing with a fork to let out fat. Drain and then arrange in a 9-inch square baking dish. Layer sliced apples on top. Pour corn bread batter over all and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until corn bread is done. Serve with warm maple syrup and garnish with sage.

Recipe from Paula Deen/Food Network

I use 14 sausages, because that's the way they're packed, Jiffy cornbread mix, Granny Smith apples and cane syrup!
DH took some to work- all the guys said "where's mine?" I sent more the next day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom