Miracle Chick!

pkeeler

Songster
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Shamong
Was walking by the garbage can just now and I heard peeping from inside. But I'm getting ahead of myself. We had two hens hatch 8 chicks about 10 days ago. After they left the nest, I collected the unhatched eggs, tapped them to see if anything was ready to hatch, and then put them in the garbage. Now, our garbage pickup is Monday, but that was memorial day. I forgot to put the garbage out last Saturday to account for the holiday. So, the garbage is very stinky and crawling with maggots from all the eggs and other food refuse.

Well, I guess there was enough moisture in the can, and it has been very warm, especially warm and humid last night. So, basically, the garbage can incubated this chick for the last week. A miracle.

But probably with a sad ending, as the two hens won't take her/him. I have another hen that has been broody for two months, I'll try and stick the chick under her tonight. But, the chick has already seen the other hens and it a little stressed out already. So, even if the chick stays under there all night, I doubt a connection will be made.
sad.png
I can't see try to raise the chick alone in a brooder.

If anyone has just received an order of chicks in South Jersey, and would like an extra, let me know. I'll drive it over. It is probably a California White and Barred Rock cross. Although, it might be a third generation mutt.

That has always been my worst nightmare...that I would toss an egg with a viable chick.

After day 23-25, I usually put a tiny hole in the top just to check and make sure the chick hasn't survived.

So glad for this chick!! That is truly a miracle...

Amazing. I guess I am getting soft in my old age but I would have a hard time dispatching a chick after it survived a week in the trash (think of all the different names you could name him). I know that is easy for me to say since I generally will not run the brooder for just one chick either. Hopefully, someone will take him or you could put an ad on Craigslist.

I'd run a brooder for one chick, they just don't seem to like being alone. If I had another chick to stick in there, but the other chicks I have are bigger and have been free ranging with their moms.

If the kids named it then you are stuck. If you don't want to run the brooder stick him in a rubbermade tote and tilt a desk lamp over one end. You dont turn your back on a miracle. Give him one of the kids small stuffed toys and a mirror and he'll do just fine. If you want to rehome him later- wait till you're sure he is doing well enough for a move. You know of course you're kids will never forgive you if you do.

Omg.....you can't give up on it! Anything that wanted to live that much has to be kept!Maybe make the kids take turns chick sitting for company...there has to be some way. Congrats on Oscar
smile.png

The funny thing is here we all are with our thermometers and hygrometers, sterilizing and disinfecting and managing every little half a degree in our incubators. Then this chick pops out of a nasty garbage can.

Back
Top Bottom