1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miracle Hatch- Updated with Pictures

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SangaChicken, May 9, 2009.

1. SangaChicken

SangaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Memphis
    I typed out the beginning of this long and drawn out story a couple days ago, posted, then deleted for fear of jinxing the outcome. Here is the long and the short of it.

I bought 9 Buff Silkie eggs off BYC for my first hatch. I carefully researched, planned, studied and followed all the instructions with my incubator. I candled on the correct days, I talked to the chicks, I even played some Mozart for them (And George Strait, but to each her own!). Right off the bat I knew several of the eggs were scrambled during shipping, but I left them in to make sure. Approaching day 18, all but four were obviously dead. Day 18 I did a final candle, saw no movement in any egg, but locked the 'bator down anyway.

Day....
    19. Nothing.
    20. Nothing.
    21. Nothing. No chirping, no pipping, no indication of life.
    22. Nothing.
    23.. I had to go out of town. With a broken heart I unplugged my 'bator while I packed. At the last minute, I decided to take the 'bator downstairs for my very uninterested family (Chickens are to be served with rice, not loved in this household!). I figured they could at least toss the eggs when they started to smell. My sister, mildly amused, plugged the 'bator back in.
    24. No signs of life, I'm headed to Louisianna. My mother and sister, who have apparently taken vigil at my lifeless bator have started marking the eggs with strange symbols for identification, cart the eggs around outside the 'bator, candle them every 3 minutes "just in case" and have no idea that there should be water in the water wells (Subsequently, there wasn't any). My first hatch is clearly a failure despite having had no temperature spikes, no humidity problems, and a flawless text book incubation period.
    25. My sister calls to inform me that there is peeping from one of the eggs. I politely tell her to close the window, because she must be hearing the birds outside. Unconvinced, she returns to her round the clock vigil.
    Night of Day 25. Two eggs pip. I call shenanigans, they email me pictures. Sure enough, a pip. It must be a fluke.
    Day 26, with a ferocity that impressed even my 6'7 Marine Brother in Law, two chicks literally destroy their eggs and bound into the world.

I RUSHED home, all 7 hours, just to see it for myself. When I got home today, I found two beautiful babies asleep in the 'bator. My sister, the non-chicken enthusiast, came in and spoke and both babies bolted upright and ran to the 'bator window cheeping at her. Apparently, they think she is their mommy. We moved them to a brooder where they both ate and drank immediately. They now have a stuffed horse to cuddle up against, and get excited whenever they see us. I've ordered day old chicks before, and I've never seen the devotion or love these two little guys show. They genuinely have personalities, right out of the egg.

My entire family is now converted, and even asked if I'd consider leaving my 'bator downstairs. Though I'm utterly amazed that I did everything by the book and failed to hatch on my first try, and my family who did EVERYTHING wrong managed to get two live peepers.. I couldn't be more thrilled.

The one unfortunate note is that in my absence they took it upon themselves to name the two babies. To my dismay, I now have two chickens named "Esmerelda" and "Hank". [​IMG]

My sister also presented me with a bill for "egg sitting" that appears to break down to approx. $30 per hour for 15 hours (Her round the clock presence was imperative apparently). We settled the bill with me ordering Chinese, and called it a day.

I present.. Esmerelda and Hank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only issue/concern I have at this point.. is that "Hank" has a knot on top of his head (You may be able to see it in some of the pictures?) where "Esmerelda" has a normal, rounded head. Both act the same, are eating and happy. Anyone ever seen this before? It's a pretty significant dome on top of his noggin'. I'd guess it were a tumor if he didn't just pop out of an egg. It doesn't appear to be affecting him though.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That truly is a miracle! WOW!

3. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    Awesome story! Thanks for sharing and condratulations on your new babies!![​IMG]

4. simplyscrambled

simplyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    OMG, what a saga! I loved your story~ especially the converting the family. I'm amazed too, that those two made it! My gosh, pulling out the eggs doodling on them?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yay for Hank and Esmerelda! [​IMG]

5. SangaChicken

Mar 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Yaeh! No kidding! With SHARPIES no less! They drew dots and dashes, pluses and minuses.. apparently this was some sort of archaic measurement for egg movement? Nevermind that they didn't have the 'bator on a stable surface and the eggs were rolling around in there every time the wind blew! I might need to get a therapist for the two surviving chicks. Or some sort of military commendation for combat survivorship.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Awww too cute! They are truely miracles. I almost gave up on some at day 24 and heard peeping form the eggs about to go out to the trash, she ended up being the cutest lil' Serama! Good job on the hatch, btw those names could be worse!

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Maybe that's what wrong with my hatches. I have been so very careful and gentle. Nothing but pencils to mark them, the 'bators are in a corner where no one can bang into them, I have a journal that I record temps and humidity and any other interesting (or mundane) things, etc, etc. Maybe I should ignore them, bang the 'bators around a bit and rattle the eggs once or twice a day, just for good measure. I bet anything that hatches from that would be darn near invinsible.

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing your saga.

8. SangaChicken

Mar 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Thats what I'm thinking, once these chickens are grown.. I'm going to sell their DNA for super-chicken cultivation. These guys have GOT to be tough!

9. TN.MamaHen

TN.MamaHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    That's a great story!!I loved it.[​IMG] Congrats on the cuties!![​IMG]

10. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Congrats on the 2 cuties! Any chance "Hank" maybe part polish?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by