Missing chicken and one dead *I describe the body I found*

I discovered tonight that I have a missing chicken and found one dead. There are feathers all over the coop and outside of the window. I found the body of one chicken in an open cattle type shed close to the coop. There were feathers of this chicken in two other spots than where I found her body in the shed. Her body was picked clean. I did not see a head. No blood. Just feathers, wings, legs and feet, and bones. I cannot find my other chicken tho! I am unsure what did this. Also, my ducks nest was raided the same time I am guessing. But her nest was across the road in the neighbors weeds a ways away. I am guessing this happened early this morning as I heard my duck quacking at 4am. I went out to let her in the coop and must not have closed the door all the way. :’( any ideas what could have gotten my chickens?
Sounds like a raccoon. Those things can get into anything that is not padlocked. They often tear the feathers out in piles in different places then take the body elsewhere to eat. My other girls became seriously quiet and hid in a tight place between some fences until the next day. Try shaking treats the next morning. Sorry about your chicken and good luck.

Sounds like a raccoon. Those things can get into anything that is not padlocked. They often tear the feathers out in piles in different places then take the body elsewhere to eat. My other girls became seriously quiet and hid in a tight place between some fences until the next day. Try shaking treats the next morning. Sorry about your chicken and good luck.
Sorry I did not include the strange fact that raccoons also are known to only eat one small part of the chicken (such as the head).

Interesting!! Well she is doing amazing!! Enjoying her time in the house :) she’s on pain meds and antibiotics because blood work came back indicating she was fighting an infection. She’s been such a champ thru all of this!! Even sat next to my duck on the way home!! The duck doesn’t have a good prognosis tho! :’(
823AAF58-81D4-441F-B5F6-1E0F2B29D642.jpeg

Poor baby! She looks so sweet and content. We have yet to rescue a chicken after an attack. I am so glad she is safe and well.

Back
Top Bottom