Missing chicken and one dead *I describe the body I found*

Bryntee

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
I discovered tonight that I have a missing chicken and found one dead. There are feathers all over the coop and outside of the window. I found the body of one chicken in an open cattle type shed close to the coop. There were feathers of this chicken in two other spots than where I found her body in the shed. Her body was picked clean. I did not see a head. No blood. Just feathers, wings, legs and feet, and bones. I cannot find my other chicken tho! I am unsure what did this. Also, my ducks nest was raided the same time I am guessing. But her nest was across the road in the neighbors weeds a ways away. I am guessing this happened early this morning as I heard my duck quacking at 4am. I went out to let her in the coop and must not have closed the door all the way. :’( any ideas what could have gotten my chickens?

Well my missing chicken was sitting on my front steps this morning!!! She does have a wound but she’s ALIVE!!!!!!! I am so thankful she survived. This chicken should have been dead many times but always manages to survive lol.

And yes we have tons! I will see about setting a couple up for tonight!! :)

Well, the vet said he is thinking it’s a hawk also that got them. Henley had to stay till Friday to make sure she isn’t septic and all that. They’ll clean the wounds and give her antibiotics and all that. I’ll keep you all posted! Thanks so much for all the info! Now to figure out what to do about the hawks!!!! :)

Please keep us informed on her progress. Fingers crossed for both of you. She was strong enough to return to where she felt safe. Let's hope it was soon enough. Looked for a fingers crossed emogie,, or what ever there called, but couldn't find one. So fingers crossed.

Coon. That are known to eat the head off the chicken. The missing one sounds like fox, but a coon will drag a bird off. The nest being raided sounds like a coon also, but could be anything from a snake to a coyote..

Back
Top Bottom