Missing chicken and one dead *I describe the body I found*

Thanks! I went and got some antiseptic stuff so will clean the wound more. I think it was called bentadine?

Please keep us informed on her progress. Fingers crossed for both of you. She was strong enough to return to where she felt safe. Let's hope it was soon enough. Looked for a fingers crossed emogie,, or what ever there called, but couldn't find one. So fingers crossed.

I discovered tonight that I have a missing chicken and found one dead. There are feathers all over the coop and outside of the window.... Her body was picked clean. [no] head. No blood. Just feathers, wings, legs and feet, and bones....

Without a photo it is hard to know but a coon will often use its finger and hand strength to devoir a chicken similar to how a human would pick and eat berries off the bush.

As a general rule however any chicken that is killed and eaten and the skeleton is still intact or articulated was killed by a bird of prey.

The fact that you found your 2nd hen and that she is alive is more evidence that the culprit was a bird of prey. Hawks and Owls begin feeding before the victim is dead.

Without a photo it is hard to know but a coon will often use its finger and hand strength to devoir a chicken similar to how a human would pick and eat berries off the bush.

As a general rule however any chicken that is killed and eaten and the skeleton is still intact or articulated was killed by a bird of prey.

The fact that you found your 2nd hen and that she is alive is more evidence that the culprit was a bird of prey. Hawks and Owls begin feeding before the victim is dead.

Would birds of prey go into a shed? Photo is attached. She does have another small wound on her wing joint but isn’t nearly as bad. It did have a couple maggots but I got them! The big wound I’ve been trying to get them all out and I got probably 95-98% of them. I just can’t see them inside and when I flush with saline solution after a bit a few more pop up.

Attachments

• EE86A718-D2D6-4DF6-85A0-EA973D12FF83.jpeg
    EE86A718-D2D6-4DF6-85A0-EA973D12FF83.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 5
34430053-56A4-4AAE-BAE3-3A4A18B05EC2.jpeg

This is the body I found in the shed. The whole one side of the shed is completely open. It was used as a shelter for a couple cows.

Also, a couple years ago I whitenessed a bald eagle swoop down and try and grab my duck! It was awful. I ran out and saved her as she was running towards me to be saved! So we have eagles and we also have hawks. I have not heard any owls around here tho. But it looks as tho something got into the coop and attacked them. Because both their feathers are littered all over and we just cleaned the coop so I know it was from the attack. Will hawks or eagles go into the coop?

Back
Top Bottom