MISSING CHICKEN

newtimechickencarer

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2019
texas
Hello,
Last night at around 2:30 a.m. I heard 2 chickens flying and then one of my other chickens started to do a call that goes like "back back back BACK". I have sensor lights around their coop to see if any predator comes through my room window, but I did not see any light on. I went inside their coop and immediately one chicken came out of the coop into my backyard and started to just walk around. Then, another followed the chicken in the yard and one flew down from where they sleep and followed the chickens wandering in my backyard. I gently put them back in the coop and checked inside their coop for predators, but did not find any. As I was leaving, I saw that two chickens were trying to find a way out of the coop. I forgot to get a head count to make sure they were all there last night, but this morning one was missing. I checked EVERYWHERE in my backyard and cant find the chicken. what happened? the coop was securely closed and I did not hear anything after I checked in there coop. All I heard was flying, but I think that was the hen trying to get on the ladder in their coop. I have 10 hens. anything would help... someone plz respond!

I do hope she can return. Predators happen everywhere, and chickens are totally vulnerable at night. They all need to be in a "Ft. Knox' coop, at least, at night, every night. Also having a safe run is a big help, especially when a predator has turned up. Yours will return!!!
Look for evidence, tracks, whatever, and reinforce things, or bring them into a safer place for now.
Game cameras will help you see what's out there, and live traps will help eliminate varmits, as long as you shoot them!
Good luck,
Mary

That was all so strange. I wonder what made the chickens want out of their coop in the middle of the night? I understand why they ran into the yard once you were in there. Mine would do that too. But, something alarmed them inside the coop. Could a snake have gotten in there? Did a raccoon or something peek through their window? I would put a game camera out there tonight and look everywhere for signs. As for where your one chicken is, who can say? She got spooked. Maybe she just flew somewhere and will try to find her way home, or perhaps a predator got her. Only time will tell, and actually you may never know.

So sorry. It is quite a conundrum. :hugs

That was all so strange. I wonder what made the chickens want out of their coop in the middle of the night? I understand why they ran into the yard once you were in there. Mine would do that too. But, something alarmed them inside the coop. Could a snake have gotten in there? Did a raccoon or something peek through their window? I would put a game camera out there tonight and look everywhere for signs. As for where your one chicken is, who can say? She got spooked. Maybe she just flew somewhere and will try to find her way home, or perhaps a predator got her. Only time will tell, and actually you may never know.

So sorry. It is quite a conundrum. :hugs
Thank you so much for your reply... I never thought I would be this sad and worried from a chicken missing...

I do hope she can return. Predators happen everywhere, and chickens are totally vulnerable at night. They all need to be in a "Ft. Knox' coop, at least, at night, every night. Also having a safe run is a big help, especially when a predator has turned up. Yours will return!!!
Look for evidence, tracks, whatever, and reinforce things, or bring them into a safer place for now.
Game cameras will help you see what's out there, and live traps will help eliminate varmits, as long as you shoot them!
Good luck,
Mary
there is no sign of anything... just one is missing. :( thank you for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom