Missing Duck Egg...

Haydog03

Crowing
Aug 24, 2018
West Virginia
I was elated to find the first egg of Pato’s in her basket/coop! The next day, bam!- another egg! So, for four days, everyday, we found a new egg in her clutch! Today, no egg! Is that normal? Pato goes free-range nearly everyday. Yesterday, we couldn’t let her out due to my doggo being sick. We’ve not changed her diet (whatever she eats while free-ranging, peas, and her normal adult poultry food)! I’m new to eggs (my first time, actually) so I’m pretty alarmed by the missing egg! (All the other eggs are beautiful and fine... I doubt it was a predator stealing an egg...)

Also... sorry if it’s nothing. I was warned that she may not lay for another month if she stops now?

I was elated to find the first egg of Pato’s in her basket/coop! The next day, bam!- another egg! So, for four days, everyday, we found a new egg in her clutch! Today, no egg! Is that normal? Pato goes free-range nearly everyday. Yesterday, we couldn’t let her out due to my doggo being sick. We’ve not changed her diet (whatever she eats while free-ranging, peas, and her normal adult poultry food)! I’m new to eggs (my first time, actually) so I’m pretty alarmed by the missing egg! (All the other eggs are beautiful and fine... I doubt it was a predator stealing an egg...)

Also... sorry if it’s nothing. I was warned that she may not lay for another month if she stops now?
From what i heart, a duck won't lay an egg a day…

Really? That’s relieving. :celebrate I talk to a few local duck owners, and everyone said their females lay everyday when they’re laying fertile eggs! I just can’t wait to have babies running around! I think they’re fertile, I wish we had some way to tell!
The only way to tell if an egg is fertile is to incubate and candle…

Really? That’s relieving. :celebrate I talk to a few local duck owners, and everyone said their females lay everyday when they’re laying fertile eggs! I just can’t wait to have babies running around! I think they’re fertile, I wish we had some way to tell!
You can candle the eggs or break it open and look for the bullseye. If she's young, she won't be nesting yet. Ducks will lay eggs with or without a drake. Having a drake is the only way they will be fertile though. ;)

Last edited:
One of my young muscovy ducks laid 4 eggs and then stopped for the season. She didn't lay them in a row either. New layers have kinks in the system. Once she gets those kinks worked out she could lay an egg per day in the right season. It depends on the breed too.
Oh, sorry! I forgot to add breed! She’s a Pekin around 8 months!

Back
Top Bottom