Missing egg mystery

Melancholy Bear

Chirping
May 7, 2022
Sweetwater, TN
We have five hens and a rooster. We very rarely ever collect five eggs in one day. Mostly we get two, three, or four eggs. We usually let the chickens out of the coop for a couple hours before sunset. They return to roost every evening.

A couple months ago, I marked three eggs and left them in the nesting boxes. After a couple days, one of the marked eggs disappeared. I marked more and put a trail cam over the nesting box. Another went missing. There was never any sign of a snake entering. I suspected maybe one egg was being eaten regularly. But once, a marked egg that disappeared reappeared a couple days later. I have started collecting eggs several times throughout the day.

Recently, I bought three ceramic fake eggs and marked them. Now, one of those went missing.

What is going on? I'm stumped! Can you help me solve this mystery?

We have five hens and a rooster. We very rarely ever collect five eggs in one day. Mostly we get two, three, or four eggs. We usually let the chickens out of the coop for a couple hours before sunset. They return to roost every evening.

A couple months ago, I marked three eggs and left them in the nesting boxes. After a couple days, one of the marked eggs disappeared. I marked more and put a trail cam over the nesting box. Another went missing. There was never any sign of a snake entering. I suspected maybe one egg was being eaten regularly. But once, a marked egg that disappeared reappeared a couple days later. I have started collecting eggs several times throughout the day.

Recently, I bought three ceramic fake eggs and marked them. Now, one of those went missing.

What is going on? I'm stumped! Can you help me solve this mystery?
Hens can move eggs if so inclined, but they wouldn't be hiding them on you. Usually you will see evidence of an eaten egg (shell fragments, spilled whites or yolk). I think I am with Aart on this one.

Found this fella in my coop recently. The hens acted like it was normal that he was there. Makes me think he's a regular visitor. Perhaps having an egg for lunch now and then? I wonder if you may have a similar visitor?
20230509_091747.jpg

Can you get a camera inside of the coop? That seems like the only option here.

Could it be someone that you live with is trying to mess with you?
We have no children and my wife is as stumped as me. I had a trail cam directly above the nesting box with the marked eggs. The images of the eggs were mostly obscured with the hens. I thought one was being eaten until a ceramic egg disappeared.

Found this fella in my coop recently. The hens acted like it was normal that he was there. Makes me think he's a regular visitor. Perhaps having an egg for lunch now and then? I wonder if you may have a similar visitor?
View attachment 3525228
My coop is up off the ground and I have carpet tack strips everywhere to prevent animals climbing. Any openings into the coop are much smaller than an egg size. It's possible a snake could eat an egg and digest it and get back out I suppose. But one could not eat a ceramic egg and get out

We have no children and my wife is as stumped as me. I had a trail cam directly above the nesting box with the marked eggs. The images of the eggs were mostly obscured with the hens. I thought one was being eaten until a ceramic egg disappeared.
That sounds crazy. Maybe you want to get roll away nest boxes? As much as I love a good mystery.

It has seemed like my hens have moved eggs before, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes. I have read of others having similar experiences where the only explanation is that chickens are somehow picking up and moving eggs, but it seems impossible.

Back
Top Bottom