Missing eggs....

Knighstar679

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
Seneca Falls, NY
So I gave a broody welsh harlequin duck 13 eggs. We left her be for two days, yesterday we found her off the nest and not looking very happy.

so I go in and find 8-9 eggs instead of the 13!

I am sitting there looking through the coop looking for where the eggs went. I the went and double checked the nest. I saw a crap ton of flies in it! :barnieSo I started looking closely at the nest. I find egg yolk on the bottom and a tiny piece of shell.

Who the heck is eating eggs was my first response? Well last night we found out it is my chickens. I have a chicken that breaks into the duck coop and chases broody ducks away and eats their eggs!

she won’t eat the chicken eggs only the duck ones.

what the heck And suggested fixes

So I gave a broody welsh harlequin duck 13 eggs. We left her be for two days, yesterday we found her off the nest and not looking very happy.

so I go in and find 8-9 eggs instead of the 13!

I am sitting there looking through the coop looking for where the eggs went. I the went and double checked the nest. I saw a crap ton of flies in it! :barnieSo I started looking closely at the nest. I find egg yolk on the bottom and a tiny piece of shell.

Who the heck is eating eggs was my first response? Well last night we found out it is my chickens. I have a chicken that breaks into the duck coop and chases broody ducks away and eats their eggs!

she won’t eat the chicken eggs only the duck ones.

what the heck And suggested fixes
Sounds like you're going to need to find a way to separate the chickens and ducks. We had a broody with an eaten egg, which we thought was the drake, so we separated her from all of our other ducks, then found her a week later with another eaten egg. It had to have been her because no one else is in the house!! If you have any suggestions for that....I'm all ears.

Sounds like you're going to need to find a way to separate the chickens and ducks. We had a broody with an eaten egg, which we thought was the drake, so we separated her from all of our other ducks, then found her a week later with another eaten egg. It had to have been her because no one else is in the house!! If you have any suggestions for that....I'm all ears.
Funny part is the chickens know how to escape thei confinement. It only two of the 8 chickens. I have found beak holes in an egg or two from this week.

I found feeding more bugs and some higher protein stuff helped keep my ducks uninterested in their eggs

Back
Top Bottom