1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Feathers?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mjdtexan, Sep 17, 2010.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Some of my girls are looking downright pitiful, missing feathers on their rear ends. It looks worse than molting. So of them have skin that looked irritated and swollen. I just had one in my hands and was not able to detect mites. What is my next step?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I would dust them anyway. Could be lice, which are much harder to find...unless you can find their tell-tale egg sacs at the base of the feathers near the vent...

3. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:I've never dealt with the lice, go on please, tell me more.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Check the feathers around the vent area for a weird clumping at the base of the feather. When you touch it, it feels like spongy material, or like a little hairball. That's the egg sac. I've never found adult lice on my birds, but when I see the egg sacs, I know they are there...I bathe them, and pull off as many egg sacs as I can (often pulling feathers out with them, as they are extremely difficult to remove) and then dust birds and bedding.

5. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Thank You. I am going to go out there and check that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by