missing head feathers.. how to treat or just leave her?

FairfieldChicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Burford, Ontario
My rooster is young and is very.. urm.. forceful
smile.png

He just grabs the ladies head feathers at the back of their heads and jumps right on for his ride. I noticed today, my old lady chicken is missing a good amount off the back of her head. I dont have a pic but can take one first thing in the morning. Im concerned that when she is completely naked there, when he grabs skin, I dont want any tears, she is a nice old lady
sad.png
how can I deter him or protect her? Should I seperate them? Would it be fair to? they have been romping together since before winter, and havnt noticed any problems till now. All my other ladies seem to be just fine tho...

it happens sometimes, usually they figure out how to be more gentle. At the begining I had a few bald hens before my boys figured out how to mount with out pulling so much. I would just leave it unless you see him break skin, then I would treat and maybe give him a time out. how many hens are there?

They do get gentler as they get older. Giving him a time out will give your hens a chance to recover and move him down the pecking order, hopefully. I don't know if will change your roo's attitude, but it might. I would not take the hen out, it's not her fault.

I had 3 roos with my 6 hens, I bought all 9 together and after a few weeks I notice the older hen started having sores on her back, after a couple more weeks the hen came into my carport and she was bleeding, the roos were mounting her and digging into her back. There was blood spots all over my carport. The roos had also pulled most of her head feathers off, I felt sorry for her so I got rid of the roos, she's doing ok now and back to her happy self, and she is getting her head feathers back.
big_smile.png

try putting "pick-no-more" on the hen's head. its a thick purple goop that you can buy at feed stores. it comes in a brown bottle that looks like a wood glue bottle. that might keep him from grabbing her head. it just tastes really bad and protects the skin a little.

Back
Top Bottom