Missing Hen...

amyfitz100

Songster
7 Years
Jul 10, 2013
South Carolina
Last night at lock up, one of my three hens was missing. She started laying 10 days ago and both the roos REALLY like her. My daughter had seen her in some bushes away from the others, just before sunset. My son and I went looking for her (by then with a flashlight!) which was unfortunately, kind of pointless. She stayed hidden. I fed lots of good snacks before work this morning, and it's a decent temp today, with frigid temps coming back again tonight. She was not around when I came home at noon. I have the coop open, and the others are doing their thing -- none have ever left what we consider our yard. Excluding a predator encounter,, how likely is it that she'll show back up? And now, before it freezes again, would be smart!

Did she return, Amy? It's possible that she went broody and has a nest hidden. chickens don't always behave logically regarding appropriate time of year and location for a nest when going broody. Other scenarios include being taken by a predator, or perhaps being chased and getting lost. I wish you the best of luck. Do you have an enclosed run, or are they allowed to free range?

Noooooo, she didn't come back.
1f62d.png
I have a chicken tractor with a small enclosed run and I let them free range as much as I can -- yesterday longer than usual. We have property with a lot of brush and kudzu she could've gotten in and I spent quite a bit if time today looking for my brown bird in all the brown vegetation, lol. I called, I whistled, I even tried to bribe with my $5 footlong (which the cat and other 4 chickens inhaled), but... nothing. We haven't had trouble with predators here yet, but I know they are here. And I Haden even thought about her being broody. What would she do? Try to sit on a nest all the time? My third hen doesn't lay yet, but every time I open the coop she's sitting on the golf balls in the nest box that the other two use. Maybe she's going to be broody? Looks like we're back down to an egg a day anyway... and no more pretty blue ones!
1f629.png

Back
Top Bottom